Silver Line to Chelsea

The ramp was not originally part of this phase of the project. They added it as a change order so it only recently got designed. Not sure how they thought they were going to get away with opening the line without having full HC access....

Yes I know it was a Phase II item moved to Phase I.

But remember the original plan was to have Bellingham Sq station open in PHASE II once the commuter rail was moved. (I can also assume this was because of the ramp)

And not for nothing, there's HC egress to that station without the ramp system. It's a far longer walk but you can walk from the Washington Ave bridge to 6th to the station. And just walk from Outbound -> Inbound to get to the same spot. Its all flush surface (sidewalk wise) between the inbound and outbound. So good for HC access.

The ramp system just makes it a far easier connection from the 111 and Washington Ave.

Hey guys,

So this morning (Saturday) I had the roommate's car and did my 5am Market Basket run. And I drove the SLG route via city streets to how construction is going.

Even in a little as two weeks, there's noticeable progress between 2 weeks ago and now. Chelsea Station now has sidewalks and platforms. The bars for the signage are up. (but no signs).

At Box District, there's now lighting along the pathway, and it looks like planting should happen along it too.

At Eastern Ave, all the sidewalks along Eastern Ave on the side with the new station have all been ripped up. I bet concrete will soon follow and the entire corner's sidewalks (and new station) will be done.

Here's two pictures from today:

The new lights as seen from the Broadway Bridge entrance to the shared use path

37408132345_90cb33293d.jpg

-----

New lights and nearly finished pathway near Box District

36555761814_2b4d9df4c6.jpg

--

So yes, Jass, there are new lights along the shared use path.

I'm itchin to take new pics in a week or so because it's rapidly coming along now, but I want to wait for an official tour again and for the trees to get some color. (for nice pictures) So soon.

--

On a different note, since we're now less than six months from opening... do we want to start to organize a "first ride" together? :) I know I will be there, any one else interested in joining me on that inaugural run on this line in the morning?

I can create an EventBrite or Facebook event invite just so we can see interest levels.

On a different, but related note... this was a suggestion from someone on the Chelsea What's Happening Facebook Group. Maybe BEFORE the line opens, MassDOT and the T could open the busway up to the public to walk on. Just to check it out. Similar to what they did for the Zakim when it opens years ago.

A nice PR event for the city, the T, and MassDOT. Would people here be interested in something like too?

I have enough contacts to organize the thing, and I know I could easily get backing from the T and the city (and a few community groups like TND).

Truthfully I'd love win my political seat (I am running for city council for those who don't know) and organize this. It would just be a great event to do as a new city councilor. But I will do it anyways even if i don't win because it would just be fun to do.

Let me know your thoughts and if you'd be interested in either or both of these events.

I'd be interested in the ride. Pre-opening, I'd enjoy biking it, but probably less interested in walking.

I'd be interested in a first ride or walk down the RoW! TransitMatters might want to take a video of the opening trip, like they've done with the Everett bus lane.

TransitMatters might want to take a video of the opening trip, like they've done with the Everett bus lane.

We definitely will be hyping this big time. Given that I live in Chelsea, I will be pushing this initiative. Will raise it tonight at the meeting to get the dialogue started.

On a different, but related note... this was a suggestion from someone on the Chelsea What's Happening Facebook Group. Maybe BEFORE the line opens, MassDOT and the T could open the busway up to the public to walk on. Just to check it out. Similar to what they did for the Zakim when it opens years ago.

that was me! :lol:

We definitely will be hyping this big time. Given that I live in Chelsea, I will be pushing this initiative. Will raise it tonight at the meeting to get the dialogue started.

TM has already contacted me for a connection to my contacts at the state. We are having coffee next week to discuss this. (see below)

Our favorite leader at TM wants to walk with me next month to do a video. I have to see.. honestly I'm so busy these days, SLG has kinda taken a backseat to my political aspirations. I want to do a walk in October but my issue is, it has to be in the morning, and it has to be during the week so I have to request a morning off. It would have to be on a Friday (Friday mornings are the easiest to take off since its holiday in Israel.. I work a Israeli owned company).. and I am hesitant because I have to take other PTO time for my campaign sooo yeah trying not to piss off my employer.

Last time I did a tour, I was asked if I could do it next day so virtually no planning on my part (I actually just called in "late" so I could walk with the Eng's). Also, it would be helpful to have the MBTA Eng come with us (I usually walk with MassDOT and McCourt). We also do this as a safety walk..so all pictures and video must be approved by their safety guy for public use. (to check for OSHA violations we missed along the walk)

It's a lot of moving parts.. more moving parts than I may be willing to juggle until after Nov 7th. We can see.

So I was going by on the 112 today and saw them installing the Real Time Countdown signs... It's really happening!!

23499669098_63fe177e58_z.jpg

You'll probably have to zoom in using the full sized picture to see.. but they are there.

On a different note.. people keep talking about the bridge and how it will slow down the route. As someone who has rode the 112 daily for the past 3 months I can tell you.. it really is tide based. Right now, high tide is in the afternoon, so ships come up at that time instead of the morning. So you'll have a full cycle.. weeks where it may not go up in the morning.. and you'll have a week where it goes up every day around the same time.

It's going to be interesting at least.. but keep an eye on the ties. Low tide = no bridge going up, high tide = bridge will probably go up.

And looking at the tide chart for next week.. my morning commute is about to be interrupted!

Is this still scheduled to open April 2018? How is there possibly seven months of work left, even conceding that they need to finish Bellingham sq station

Is this still scheduled to open April 2018? How is there possibly seven months of work left, even conceding that they need to finish Bellingham sq station

Don't they need additional buses to service the expansion? Perhaps that is controlling the timing?

The contract **ENDS** in March. Doesn't mean work will be going until then until the last day of the contract.

But as someone who has watched a few seasons pass now.. work does slow down in the winter at the job site so I really think by Halloween, outside of what is left at B'ham Sq Station, the construction will be substantially complete.

Also the MassDOT and the T will also have a punch list of stuff to do near the end of the contract, AND I am sure the T will need to do a practical road test to rest out the busway, the signals, etc etc before putting the line into revenue.

Thsi may be a silly question, but do we know how this will integrate into the subway map? i know it will be a silver line, but i just want to know how its going to be drawn in....

Thsi may be a silly question, but do we know how this will integrate into the subway map? i know it will be a silver line, but i just want to know how its going to be drawn in....

From 2015, may be a clue:

subway_accessible_highlighted_map_2015_large.jpg

Don't they need additional buses to service the expansion? Perhaps that is controlling the timing?

The overhaul of the 32 dual-modes has to be completed and all back in service.
Right now 17 have been completed, 6 are in Maine being worked on, and 9 are still in service that have not been overhauled. Thus, the start of the spring 2018 schedule is the earliest that the service can start.

So I was going by on the 112 today and saw them installing the Real Time Countdown signs... It's really happening!!
<snip>
It's going to be interesting at least.. but keep an eye on the ties. Low tide = no bridge going up, high tide = bridge will probably go up.

And looking at the tide chart for next week.. my morning commute is about to be interrupted!

And I spoke too soon.. the bridge was up this morning. Luckily I knew before I left the house because of the twitter account so I waited!

Hey there. I live in Chelsea so I'm looking forward to the silver line. I just noticed the massport 77 takes an alternate route up 1A north (from what i can tell) when the bridge is up. Given that it stops at the eastern ave stop and follows a similar route as slg, who can I contact to request the slg use the same alternate route? It makes so much sense (if I'm right and that route exists), but I bet it hasn't been discussed

Hey there. I live in Chelsea so I'm looking forward to the silver line. I just noticed the massport 77 takes an alternate route up 1A north (from what i can tell) when the bridge is up. Given that it stops at the eastern ave stop and follows a similar route as slg, who can I contact to request the slg use the same alternate route? It makes so much sense (if I'm right and that route exists), but I bet it hasn't been discussed

most smart people will head towards Rt1A from eastern ave.
Unfortunately, the MBTA (112) decides to wait until that god awful bridge goes up and down, which takes about 40 mins.

That actually is the bridge alternative route for the SLG/SL3 when the bridge goes up

most smart people will head towards Rt1A from eastern ave.
Unfortunately, the MBTA (112) decides to wait until that god awful bridge goes up and down, which takes about 40 mins.

Boy people like to exaggerate this.. I ride the 112 every day, and its 18-22 minutes each and every time from up to down. Don't believe me, check out bridges twitter account and see how long.

That actually is the bridge alternative route for the SLG/SL3 when the bridge goes up

That's great to hear! On an unrelated note, have there ever been discussions about adding on-street stops to the 77 or any of the massport chelsea - logan routes? If they dropped at Curtis St before turning onto 1A, for example, that could enable people to walk to Wood Island.

Back