Silver Line to Chelsea

Holy shit, really?! This is huge. Is it in design or just talk at the moment?

I know I saw somewhere.. I think on FB or twitter about a meeting to talk about improvements from the Everett Line of Beacham/Williams/Marginal.. didn't say how far down Marginal. I was going to go but I think i have a work thing that night. If I can find the post, I'll pass it along. (I wanna say its this Thursday)

Of course its all talk. But they did a study (weren't you apart of that?) about revitalizing that area. I am sure it includes pedestrian improvements.

I know the city eventually will improve this area.. its only a matter of time. And if Amazon happens, the Chelsea waterfront would rapidly become home to tons of new homes for Amazon folks. The Boston HQ2 docs talk about ferry service to Suffolk Downs from North Station, it would not take much to add a ferry dock to the Chelsea side of the creek. Heck, put it at Central/Marginal/Eastern so people can walk to the Eastern Ave SLG/SL3 Stop.

5 friggin' AM dude.

LOL I have nothing better to do. I'm up by 530 most days anyways.

2 weeks ago when I went to the grocery store, I noticed it was all lit up, so the follow week (last weekend) I went out and took a few pics. That was when I realized my Samsung sucked at photos. So this weekend.. I forgot yesterday (Saturday).. and this morning, I was like fukkit, let me do a full set. So I did. And they came out beautifully.

Hey, i know it's strange, but someone has to do it.. everyone does like the photos :)

I know I saw somewhere.. I think on FB or twitter about a meeting to talk about improvements from the Everett Line of Beacham/Williams/Marginal.. didn't say how far down Marginal. I was going to go but I think i have a work thing that night. If I can find the post, I'll pass it along. (I wanna say its this Thursday)

Of course its all talk. But they did a study (weren't you apart of that?) about revitalizing that area. I am sure it includes pedestrian improvements.

I know the city eventually will improve this area.. its only a matter of time. And if Amazon happens, the Chelsea waterfront would rapidly become home to tons of new homes for Amazon folks. The Boston HQ2 docs talk about ferry service to Suffolk Downs from North Station, it would not take much to add a ferry dock to the Chelsea side of the creek. Heck, put it at Central/Marginal/Eastern so people can walk to the Eastern Ave SLG/SL3 Stop.

Wouldn't the Massachusetts port whatever agency thing need to remove the waterfront as a DPA first? Also, kind of a random thing, but I would love for them to put either an ALDI or mini-target in the eastern avenue area.

Also, is there a thread for general development project news in Chelsea? There is, for example, something going up on Pearl Street near Katz' and I have no idea what it is.

The "study"/waterfront visioning session I attended was mainly a pathetic list of things the City of Chelsea can't do because of the DPA (Port) designation or isn't willing to do (like stop putting rental cars on prime waterfront property) with very few innovative or transformative ideas.

The "study"/waterfront visioning session I attended was mainly a pathetic list of things the City of Chelsea can't do because of the DPA (Port) designation or isn't willing to do (like stop putting rental cars on prime waterfront property) with very few innovative or transformative ideas.

Why hold the session then?

LOL I have nothing better to do. I'm up by 530 most days anyways.

2 weeks ago when I went to the grocery store, I noticed it was all lit up, so the follow week (last weekend) I went out and took a few pics. That was when I realized my Samsung sucked at photos. So this weekend.. I forgot yesterday (Saturday).. and this morning, I was like fukkit, let me do a full set. So I did. And they came out beautifully.

Hey, i know it's strange, but someone has to do it.. everyone does like the photos :)

Seriously, much appreciated!

Lighting on the roadway looks fantastic. So even!

The trail, not so much. They put "nice looking fixtures" ahead of "useful" creating what appears to be a shadow city.

Lighting on the roadway looks fantastic. So even!

The trail, not so much. They put "nice looking fixtures" ahead of "useful" creating what appears to be a shadow city.

Yeah I'm kinda disappointed at the lighting for the shared use path. It doesn't seen very 'direct and efficient' and in some a parts, it just uses the busway lights to illuminate the walkway.

I will say two things.. the lighting system is very A-typical MassDOT, same lamps are used by MassDOT in other projects.

And Honestly I really doubt that path will be used at night. I love Chelsea, but even I question how safe its going to be at night. Most residents know that. There's cameras and call boxes and stuff but.. no replacement for a live person watching.

I think the plan is for every 10 minutes in the peak and 15 in the off-peak but not 100% sure that is final plan.

Yeah its 5-7 minutes rush 7-15 minutes non-rush.

I thin its safe to say its under 10 in rush, and under 15 in non rush.

Same frequency as the 111.

the lighting system is very A-typical MassDOT, same lamps are used by MassDOT in other projects
I'm confused by the expression A-typical, which sounds like atypical (unusual) but is used here like typical (usual), but neither is quite Type A (dominant personality?)

Yeah its 5-7 minutes rush 7-15 minutes non-rush.

I thin its safe to say its under 10 in rush, and under 15 in non rush.

Same frequency as the 111.

My understanding is that in the rush-hour, every other existing Route 746 trip (the South Station-Silver Line Way short trips) is going to be converted to a Route 743 trip (the new SL3 South Station -Chelsea). The 746 runs every 5 minutes right now in the rush-hour, so if every other one is replaced with a 743, that would be a bus every 10 in the peak. No way it will be every 5, they do not have enough dual-mode equipment to support a new schedule like that.

My understanding is that in the rush-hour, every other existing Route 746 trip (the South Station-Silver Line Way short trips) is going to be converted to a Route 743 trip (the new SL3 South Station -Chelsea). The 746 runs every 5 minutes right now in the rush-hour, so if every other one is replaced with a 743, that would be a bus every 10 in the peak. No way it will be every 5, they do not have enough dual-mode equipment to support a new schedule like that.

Something about this logic is not working for me. It would seem to take a lot more dual mode buses to fill up the 743 long trip queue than the 746 short trip queue.

It should take more buses to fill the much longer trip queue, right? If you divert half the 746 buses out to Chelsea, they are going to take much longer to return. Somewhere in that scenario frequency falls apart.

^ perhaps There are also buses pinging Chelsea <~> airport?

Surely there is an actual answer out there...

Something about this logic is not working for me. It would seem to take a lot more dual mode buses to fill up the 743 long trip queue than the 746 short trip queue.

It should take more buses to fill the much longer trip queue, right? If you divert half the 746 buses out to Chelsea, they are going to take much longer to return. Somewhere in that scenario frequency falls apart.

It will take more, they are essentilly taking the slots in the tunnel occupied by half of the 746 trips to operate the 743s. Only 2 buses are freed up by eliminating half of the 746s, the total requirement of 741/742/743/746s will go up. The 746 will go down by 2 while the 743 will be 2+x buses (I think it was something like 5 more).

They will have enough spare dual-mode buses to increase the requirement and operate at least a 10 minute peak frequency to Chelsea once the overhaul of the dual-modes is complete or close to complete. They will not have enough however to operate it every 5 minutes (twice the buses it will take to operate it every 10, if it will take 7 buses to run every 10, it would take 14 buses to run every 5)

Edit for additional info:
Just for comparison, right now in the PM peak the 746 South Station-Silver Line Way uses 4 buses to operate every 5 minutes, meaning a 20 minute round-trip time for each bus including layover/recovery time at terminals. The 742 South Station-Design Center uses 7 buses to run every 5 minutes, a 35-minute round-trip time including layover, while the 741 South Station-Airport uses 6 buses to operate every 10 minutes for a 60-minute round-trip time including layover.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how much demand need not involve Seaport/SS but is simply Market Basket <--> Airport (and could be served with a CNG bus (no tunnel issues))

Especially since the SLG is supposed to take lots of ridership off the 116/117, the T should at least explore running short turns in the Chelsea->Airport section with the displaced buses.

The SLW bus should be electric only, not dual mode.

The Chelsea busway should be electrified but both the Deval and Baker administrations hate the planet.

Back