Site Issues

Came to this section to make my own thread but then saw many others have said the same thing. The site has been slow as hellllll the last few days. It takes forever for the site to load, then its taking a minute plus to go to each page, uploading takes forever…etc. Whats going on?

Since @SkyriseCities seems to be an absentee owner, my guess is that they went with a cheap/unreliable hosting service and has not paid any attention to service levels. Or perhaps even worse than neglect, the recent slowness was an intentional reduction in cost/quality to eek a few more net dollars out of the advertising. To be clear, I don't mind ads. I want the owner to make money, but there also needs to be some minimal service standards, and what we are getting is well below that.

Since @SkyriseCities seems to be an absentee owner, my guess is that they went with a cheap/unreliable hosting service and has not paid any attention to service levels. Or perhaps even worse than neglect, the recent slowness was an intentional reduction in cost/quality to eek a few more net dollars out of the advertising. To be clear, I don't mind ads. I want the owner to make money, but there also needs to be some minimal service standards, and what we are getting is well below that.
Awaiting a response from skyrisecity.

I wouldn't necessarily assume they are making any profit after hosting costs. Personally I would rather throw some money at an annual aB gofundme than look at ads, but maybe that's just me.

I'm getting a lot of these now ...

Hmmm… can't reach this page​

It looks like the webpage at might be having issues, or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

I wouldn't necessarily assume they are making any profit after hosting costs. Personally I would rather throw some money at an annual aB gofundme than look at ads, but maybe that's just me.
Even a basic Patreon would probably at least cover some of the hosting costs, and I know I'd throw a few bucks at it. Despite the fact that this isn't a non-profit type, charity situation, I think the site provides enough of a resource to be worth supporting.
How does making the site not load/load slow mean the ads are making more money? Reducing viewership of the ads would decrease revenue, not increase it.

For the record, I'm getting a bunch of failure to load/slow loading pages.

Even a basic Patreon would probably at least cover some of the hosting costs, and I know I'd throw a few bucks at it. Despite the fact that this isn't a non-profit type, charity situation, I think the site provides enough of a resource to be worth supporting.
Personally I would rather throw some money at an annual aB gofundme than look at ads, but maybe that's just me.

If I remember correctly, and it's been a long time since I've been in the back-end of xenforo, you can even have subcription payments built into the site and have tiered style membership. I.e. subscribers get an ad-free website while free users still see ads.

How does making the site not load/load slow mean the ads are making more money? Reducing viewership of the ads would decrease revenue, not increase it.
My thought was not that the ad revenue would increase, but that the cost of running the site would decrease. It's a question of which is the bigger change -- reduced ad revenue from fewer hits vs reduced cost from buying a lower service level. If the lower service level saves more than is lost in ad revenue, then the site owner does better financially.

Back