Six Ten @ MIT | 610 Main Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

Looks like 610 North is on hold. I thought they will develop both buildings one right after another, but seems that MIT Corp does not want to do a spec development.

This (short white historic) building is a gem. I've long admired it and I hope it remains after the adjacent building is raised.

MIT, while building (and facilitating the building of) offices and labs for complimentary business bordering its campus needs to be careful not to turn its campus into an entirely soulless, dull, office park. Preserving buildings like this one will help.

To an extent, I commend the utilitarian nature of campus planning at MIT (excluding the non-utilitarian and dysfunctional Stata Center...), but many of the new buildings around campus create an alienating environment. MIT would be well served to maintain and preserve the handsome early industrial buildings surrounding the campus. There is increasingly very little that is "academic," urban, or contextual about the architecture of their campus and the surrounding area.

A mindful mix of the old and new will help this Kendall building boom result in a great final product. Hopefully Kendall will avoid becoming Longwood 2 or Charles River Park 2.

Last edited:
12460515105_38be1bdba7_b.jpg

I like that glass curtain wall with the prominent brise-soleil!

I was walking past the site on Main street on Monday and noticed all the temp covers over the columns (seen in the 2 above pictures) have been cut back to expose the top of steel. Yesterday they had trashbags duct taped over the columns. A sign something is moving forward?
I walk past daily so I will keep an eye on it.

Oh things are moving along.
Permits were filed a while back.
At some point the tenant(s) will be made public.
Until then. I'll be quiet, and let the speculation happen.

Oh things are moving along.
Permits were filed a while back.
At some point the tenant(s) will be made public.
Until then. I'll be quiet, and let the speculation happen.

Seamus is JMA the CM on this or were they replaced? Their ghetto behind the white building with the skrim is all gone and cleaned up, Maybe they can run this out of the 300 Mass Ave site office.

Bout 250k sf above grade.
Same height as the south building overall. A couple step backs along the way.
Common plaza between the two buildings on the 700 Main St. side.
This building is L shaped to wrap around the plaza.

It also has some ground floor retail spaces as opposed to the south building.
So that's a plus.

I heard Pfizer gave the go ahead for the second building. Consolidating all the Kendall employees not in 610 already

File this one under alternative futures:

Prior to their purchase by Google, ITA Software was looking long and hard at 610 for expansion. Smaller penthouse. More Parking. No connector in the Cambridge Center roof garden.

Back