Somerville Infill and Small Developments

Not to pile on further criticism…and definitely happy to see East Somerville get in on the action….but I’m not convinced people want to live this close to the freeway. It’s like right there: noise, exhaust, grime, all the time. I mean, an office or lab makes way more sense, no? (Not to mention - that’s a garbage truck repair facility across the street.)

I have no way to corroborate this but I've been told (by a local journalist) that Broadway Brake Corp is looking to cash out on the location and sell to a developer as well. You're correct that it's not the nicest block currently, as it smells pretty much exactly like you would expect a truck repair facility to smell. As for living near the highway, Mezzo doesn't seem to have any problems filling luxury units, and they are practically under the highway.

Plus it's right next door to Taco Loco and essentially next door to Mt. Vernon. Proximity to those two outweighs any minor inconvenience related to the (soon-to-be-gone) truck facility across the street.

Believe this is 109-111 Prospect, 15 units. https://www.somervillema.gov/sites/default/files/Prospect Street 109-111.pdf
68759755-5850-4137-BA7D-94CCBBB66657.jpeg

Anything of note going on here on Elm st in Davis Sq? Or just new windows - hopefully not a nightmare! Hah.

View attachment 21289

This scaffolding is now down as of at least Thursday. This is a pretty quiet project/I'm not seeing much activity when I'm around here. The post office building in the back has had boarded windows for a few months now...

Many of the small condo builds have garages like that. I know of one that has three compact spaces and almost no space to maneuver, which the fire marshal commented along the lines of “that technically meets the code, but I wouldn’t want to park there”. Those three units are still on the market after more than a year.

Not to pile on further criticism…and definitely happy to see East Somerville get in on the action….but I’m not convinced people want to live this close to the freeway. It’s like right there: noise, exhaust, grime, all the time. I mean, an office or lab makes way more sense, no? (Not to mention - that’s a garbage truck repair facility across the street.)
There's lots of people who want to live in Cambridge Crossing, Ink Block, Assembly, Hood Park and the Beat. I don't think proximity to the highway is a deterrent in this market.

There's lots of people who want to live in Cambridge Crossing, Ink Block, Assembly, Hood Park and the Beat. I don't think proximity to the highway is a deterrent in this market.

Fair point. I suppose I’m just projecting my own opinion on others. Perhaps there’s a more proactive approach to encourage/enforce developers in East Somerville to fund noise and pollution barriers where residents along 93 are greatly impacted. Here’s a study - cool interactive noise/pollution analysis and design suggestions - for barriers along 93: https://tuftsgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=cf08231b10004a8bb5a0bf1c90d1eda3

D7AD14C5-B33C-4885-9BF9-B3F092ED47FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats to the Somerville Museum for such an impactful elevator addition! (Elevator entry on the rear side). Now the museum is fully accessible on all 3 levels. Great attention to detail and quality construction and historical relevance.

A21C978A-66FE-4DD4-A8A3-6C94EC8F8983.jpeg

Of course, and sadly, the project didn’t come without a neighbor’s lawsuits, counter suits, appeals and some real digging in of heels. Read about the juicy case here: http://masscases.com/cases/land/2018/2018-16-00528-FINDINGS OF FACT.html

FWIW, Comic Sans is really good for people with dyslexia. That could be the reason for it.

The Pit @ Teele Square is getting excavated out again.

Any bets on how far they go this time?

Back