Somerville Infill and Small Developments

It's pretty striking how the addition of just *one* spot, Winter Hill Brewing, has had such an impact on the other side of the hill. Strange how no other business has realized that Winter Hill can support more than just pizza joints, nail/hair salons, and one sit-down brewery/restaurant. The fugly new building opposite WHB on the corner of Temple and Broadway had/has retail spots at ground-level, but so far just a salon and a (soon to be closed) clothing store. The area could do with another bar or restaurant. "Back in the day," that area of Winter Hill had, like, four bars. The immediate and major concern for that zip code, though, is the vacant Star Market. Get that parcel developed and Winter Hill becomes an entirely different place. Sarma and WHB demonstrate that there's plenty of profit to be made by positioning quality, desirable sit-down spots -- get crackin!

Agreed. It’s incredible how slow this change has taken. I haven’t heard a word since the community meeting dealing with the star market parcel.

I hope this opening goes through. I checked them out at one of their pop ups at Bone Up in Everett. Good sandwich and collab beer with Bone Up. Would be a nice addition.

Agreed. It’s incredible how slow this change has taken. I haven’t heard a word since the community meeting dealing with the star market parcel.

I hope this opening goes through. I checked them out at one of their pop ups at Bone Up in Everett. Good sandwich and collab beer with Bone Up. Would be a nice addition.

That's where I've had them too. They'd be a good addition. I haven't tried their beer though.

yeah, that'd be a great option and they're friendly with WHB, so apparently there's no potential rivalry. deep cuts actually did a brief thing at WHB about a year ago.

per B&T, the Cambria hotel on the Somerville/Park vacant lot has financing. Construction imminent.

Anyone know about any updates to the Somerville Library West Branch development? Last news I can find was breaking ground in May 2019.

Steel is up for the new part, and they’re working on the roof. I think it’s slated for a late 2020 completion.

West Branch Somerville Library.
DSC_0130.jpeg
DSC_0132.jpeg
DSC_0134.jpeg

That building was redone in that atrocious way in the past ten years.

You all just aren't getting it - it's designed to look more awkward than a kid with braces.

Spent all the money and care on the excellent ground floor.
2 simple things: If the top floor had been dark (maybe matching the gray on the first floor) instead of light and if the frames around the windows had been dark to match the windows themselves this would have looked more substantial and had a bit more presence.

I really like that project on Cedar, particularly the rooflines on the top floor. (And I drive past the the thing pretty much every day.)

Back