Somerville Infill and Small Developments

Old La Ronga bakery
329A50BB-F3C1-48EF-B133-E383C75F0FB9.jpeg
EDBB05E9-D6C5-40BE-B039-0CA9DCBD260C.jpeg

152-158 Broadway. U/C, 45 units 9 affordable, passive house.

sommervillebroadway2-1400x837.jpg

sommervillebroadway4-1400x449.jpg

sommervillebroadway1-1400x930.jpg

sommervillebroadway5-1400x838.jpg

sommervillebroadway3-1400x837.jpg

Utile is working with Construction Managers & Developers LLC on the design of 152-158 Broadway, a five-story mixed-use building with rental and commercial space on the ground floor and rental dwelling units on the upper floors. The 45 units will help to increase Somerville’s housing stock and relieve some of the pressure on larger family size units often rented as roommate living to younger professionals by providing a large number of full service, well-appointed studio units. The project includes 40 studios, three one-beds and two three-beds, nine of which are affordable. The building is pursuing Passive House certification and will meet Somerville’s requirement for a net-zero ready building.

https://www.utiledesign.com/work/152-158-broadway/

44 Broadway

2021-06-15-44-broadway-dra-set-34_orig.jpg

44-broadway-1_orig.png

2021-06-15-44-broadway-dra-set-35_orig.jpg

44 Broadway is a mixed-use Transit Oriented Development serving as the gateway to East Somerville. The project spans an entire city block, and will activate the neighborhood with nearly 13,000 SF of ground level retail, restaurant and commercial space. Above the ground floor are roughly 60,000 SF and 5 levels of residential units, 20% of which are affordable.

https://www.balance-architects.com/44broadway.html

Last edited:
Cool that you got to check that out. I had hoped to, but got roped into a Zoom meeting juggurnaut that went way too long. I love that so many local folks were like, "They're not my fahkin prince and princess -- why can't I take my normal route to get to fahkin Market Basket!?!?!"

Cool that you got to check that out. I had hoped to, but got roped into a Zoom meeting juggurnaut that went way too long. I love that so many local folks were like, "They're not my fahkin prince and princess -- why can't I take my normal route to get to fahkin Market Basket!?!?!"

Dude, how could you have taken it that far and left off the "Mahhhhket BAHhsket" 😀

(Or as my mother still says, DAHmoooliss)

So I chatted with a worker that I saw who was surveying the Somerville Plaza lot today…he confirmed my assumption: the owner is looking to tear down the whole building. Whoa. Who knows if/when (surveyor didn’t say) it will eventually happen and what would be built there, but if it does, it’s huge. Very big lot - from Kent St to and including the Cross fit building.

7DA7B012-9A8A-4E6E-88ED-2DFA7686D385.jpeg

82BE42D6-24AC-4069-9938-84FCC2395807.jpeg

So I chatted with a worker that I saw who was surveying the Somerville Plaza lot today…he confirmed my assumption: the owner is looking to tear down the whole building. Whoa. Who knows if/when (surveyor didn’t say) it will eventually happen and what would be built there, but if it does, it’s huge. Very big lot - from Kent St to and including the Cross fit building.

View attachment 31366
View attachment 31367
Hope Forge finds a new home if/when it happens. Great bakery, ice cream and coffee.

Back