South Bay Center Expansion | Dorchester

Huge improvement, but it is no where as nice as Assembly because they did nothing to shield the garage

At least the garage floors are horizontal. Assembly's garage is the leaning tower of somerville. Idk why but garages that have angled floors like that are a huuuuge pet peeve of mine, they look terrible. Most of Assemblys are shielded from the road at least- not the train or across the river though and it looks horrendous. Yes parking garages suck architecturally usually, but when you at least give them horizontal floors they at least resemble a building.

As a resident of Dorchester Im pleased with this. Especially the movie theater. This, dot block, and a few others are going to help a lot to at least make it look a little better here. A lot of Dorchester like Dot ave if you think about it aren't really that much different than say Somerville structurally its just that the buildings are liquor stores, car shops, laundromats...etc. plus they're very run down and haven't been updated in decades. With some TLC and some more restaurants, stores...it would actually look fine.

The one thing they need to make sure of if they want this to be desirable is that the parking lot gets cleaned up. Seriously its like your walking through a junk yard out there. I hate littering because this is our neighborhood or your neighborhood or someone elses neighborhood and either your just making it so someone else will have to pick it up or like the parking lot here it just accumulates into piles of shit all over the place that blow like tumbleweeds in the wind. They should add trash cans all over the place or something idk but its sooooo bad. If they can clean that up its going to be a pretty cool place, but seriously idk how many of you have been here but your literally walking through trash piles to get to the stores. People literally on the way towards their cars open up all their shit rip the tags off and throw the plastic bags, receipts, tags, wrappers, and probably even the lint from their pockets right on the ground before they get to their cars and it looks horrible. If they can fix that mess this will look much better.

It should be mandated by the city that every new parking garage should have some sort of decorative screens/fins/whatever, to somewhat improve the looks of the damn thing.

Went to the movies on New Year's Day with my girlfriend. it's definitely an improvement, but it's nowhere near Assembly and it won't be as long as the strip mall makes up the bulk (or even a large portion) of the retail. Even without all of the residential work complete, Assembly actually has more of a "neighborhood" feel regardless of how you feel about the authenticity of the architecture. Lots of people walking dogs and pushing strollers in/out of their apartment buildings for walks down by the Mystic. I actually really like Assembly and since I work right off of the Orange line I'd live there if I could. South Bay has a long way to go.

Nice!! Some of those corner units will have fabulous views of lovely wooden telephone poles, electric transformers, and the latest in cable technology!

It should be mandated by the city that every new parking garage should have some sort of decorative screens/fins/whatever, to somewhat improve the looks of the damn thing.

I do like how they added the stores to it though thats a good idea. Probably should have made the signs bigger to block more of the stair well/elevator and make it so they can be read from further away but I like the idea.

Last edited:

Back