South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Re: South Boston Development

Not sure if the bulldozer is just being stored there, or if there is activity on the site.

Just being stored there. A local contractor has had a lease to store equipment there for years. If there just announcing the eminent domain, I don't expect the BCEC will close for 30-60 days.

Arguably, judging the situation now, the Seaport would be better served by a surface BRT that ran Summer Street - South Station - Greenway - North Station thereby hitting all major connections.

File under "reasonable transit pitches" -- a portal at South Station and a true BRT lane along the Greenway (junk a couple wasteful traffic lanes on the surface artery) to North Station, all upgradeable to LRT at some point in the future.

How hard could this be??? You could even conceivably expand it to Charles/MGH to enable quicker access for Red Line riders from Cambridge to North Station / the North End.

Is there a reason the state dosen't move the Mass Highway facility and allow the BCEC to take that lot? They seem to be about the same size and would be on the same side of D St.

West Square S. Boston 8/27
7880480026_8344a5bcca_c.jpg
[/url]
339 D Street S. Boston 8/27 Building demolished and a earth mover working the site.

360 E. Second S. Boston 8/27

3 Dorchester ST. Phase 2 8/27

W. First Str. S. Boston 8/27 For Sale sign gone and the site has been cleared of vegitation and rubbish. Located on 400 block of W. First. Could not find it on the BRA project list.

537 E. First Str. S. Boston 8/27 This is the same developer who built the big grey building in the upper left corner of this shot.

600 E. Fourth S. Boston 8/27 "Condo's for Sale" sign already up. I'm loving this project.

Tribune Towers 395 W. Broadway 8/27 Very cheap costruction and materials. God knows what the end product will look like.

115 B Str. S. Boston 8/27[/url
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/beelinebos/7880690834/]

Eleven West Broadway 8/27

Last edited:

Was thinking the same thing.
Once upon a time in Southie, there would be a nice step down bar right there.

This corner is so anti-urban it hurts.

cca

And people hate on City Hall...

I do wonder, why not a corner convenience store or bodega there?

Indeed, Ron.

But "market forces" indicate that tenants/owners will want a place to park...

I'm guessing the whole ground floor is indoor parking since there are two garage doors at the base of the building

To be fair, it's not any worse than City Hall's Congress Street street level.

Which is one of the worst street interactions in the city. This thing's ground floor is an epic fail.

Oh, no doubt. I just like to needle Beton about City Hall when the opportunity arises. :)

BeeLine, isn't that building on West Second?

And people hate on City Hall...

Are we going to have City Hall mandate bodegas in every 6 unit apartment building? It sucks that someone decided to build that POS, but I don't see what you can do besides wag your finger at the developer.

I think you answered your own question. Yes, we should mandate better street interaction (and less garage parking, to reduce the incentive on the other side, too).

I think you answered your own question. Yes, we should mandate better street interaction (and less garage parking, to reduce the incentive on the other side, too).

Totally agree, but in this case the developer tore down a commercial warehouse with drive-in doors. His shitty street interaction was grandfathered in. If you start throwing out grandfathered rights during redevelopment your going to end up with a lot less redevelopment of crappy properties (and you'll probably end up with less density too since grandfathered heights, FAR's, setbacks are often used to increase the size of redeveloped properties).

Back