South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Re: South Boston Development

Looks like a pretty sweet conversion to me.

Perplexed by the need for a fenced off yard on the right side...

"Greenspace"

"Greenspace"

That word makes me sick. I had to endure 4 years of that bs through architecture school. Watching kids present buildings with sprawling grass lawns in urban environments year after year with only the occasional professor that actually encouraged urbanism.

^ Haha, only on ArchBoston would you get this kind of negatively visceral reaction just to the mention of that word.

Looking at the render again I have a feeling building to the sidewalk may have modified the historic facade too much?

Looking at the render again I have a feeling building to the sidewalk may have modified the historic facade too much?

Pull the sidewalk to the building and make the paralleled parking become angled parking.

That just trades one streetscape fail for another.

Gate-of-Heaven-Gymnasium-rendering-thumb-520x284-85695.jpg

Those shed dormers are kind of awful.

I could see fencing it in if you were going to provide people with little patios, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

From the photo at the top of the page it looks like the building with the dormers is already there and won't be a new part of the project?

^^^^ The left building shown on the render is 600 E. Fourth. It is in the final stages of construction and they have started showing units.

600 E. Fourth Street

Facing going up on Eleven W. Broadway. Red brick on the north and west faces. Did not get to the alley to check out the south face. They have tried to match the grey stone of the church on the east side. Not a bad touch.

Eleven W. Broadway 11/1

Other news:
A pile driver is working the 339 D Street site. Wood pilings are being used.
At 616 E. Fourth they have started work. They are clearing out the interior.
At 637 E. First the ground floor steel frame is up on the west building and they are doing a lot of digging on the east side of the site.

West Square. A very large crew working this site. A lot of action on the east side as you can see, however I noticed they are starting to do some foundation prep the western side of the site.

West Square S. Boston 11/1

But the the people in the green building will lose their viiiiiiiews!

Back