South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Re: South Boston Development

Great find. Nothing particularly wrong in my opinion with the existing buildings - a bit rundown, I suppose - but I really like how this looks.

I don't think anyone could have guessed that the West Broadway area could end up with some of the city's best forward-thinking architecture.

The neighborhood is banking the increase of foot-traffic from the new Foodies, 11 West Broadway (residents/Stephanie's/Starbucks) to help fill the empty retail spots in the Macallen and CSP. Once that happens, hopefully the conversions and interesting architecture will continue to trickle down Broadway..

With that in mind, I think Pappas still owns the vacant lot next to the Cornerstone (and I believe Cornerstone's lot as well). Very interested to see if anything ever develops here -- Macallen Pt. 2?

400 block of West First seems to be active. I remember it being sold recently and noticed it was being cleaned up over the past couple of weeks, but today they had a backho and earth mover on the site. The SE corner of the site is dug out and a siding samlper has appeared. Has this project been approved? I can't find it on the BRA list.

400 block of West First.

Oh god it looks like that crap they put on the Glenville project in Allston. This is worse than asphalt brick

No injuries reported as two-alarm blaze strikes S. Boston supermarket

A two-alarm fire caused $100,000 damage today to a South Boston commercial building undergoing conversion into a Foodies Urban Supermarket, officials said.

The fire is believed to have started in the basement, but then traveled up the walls and into the roof of the one-story brick building at the 230 West Broadway, said Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald.

A single sprinkler head nearest the flames did activate, but the sprinkler did not completely extinguish the fire, he said.

“The fire got above the sprinkler and into the wall, and traveled up a little bit,’’ MacDonald said. “Once it got into the walls, it was just hard to get at where the fire was. They had to open the walls and put a couple of holes in the roof.’’

The fire is believed to have started in the basement, but the cause and point of origin for the blaze remain under investigation, he said.

MacDonald said there were a large number of workers at the property at the time, but no injuries were reported.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...on-building/k3u4A2GRgpP0OirYxNX3FN/story.html

That's horrible news, they were already about 3 years behind and just two weeks away from finally opening...

Article in the Globe mentioning the 22-26 West Broadway project.
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/south_boston/2012/11/hold_thirty-one_unit_project_p.html

Here is a rendering from the project's FB page:

523578_522093954486233_2016971711_n.jpg

That side of Broadway is filling out nice. I hope they can fill in the giant empty lot near cornerstone with something big. Perfect spot for a signature residential "tower" (>20 floors). Right on top on the T. The more you build there, the more you ease the yuppie price pressure in the rest of the neighborhood. Unfortunately, I think fear of shadows will trump that argument.

Like the glass balconies!

Last edited:

I just looked at streetview to see what that would be replacing. While the building with the wooden facade doesn't look like much of a loss, it seems like it would be a shame to lose the brick building (with the D&D). It's not the most remarkable building in the world, but it is handsome. Thoughts?

That side of Broadway is filling out nice. I hope they can fill in the giant empty lot near cornerstone with something big. Perfect spot for a signature residential "tower" (>20 floors). Right on top on the T. The more you build there, the more you ease the yuppie price pressure in the rest of the neighborhood. Unfortunately, I think fear of shadows will trump that argument.

Totally agree - As previously mentioned, I think Pappas owns that parcel. I don't think you'd see much shadow concerns from this location given that it is bordered by Gillette and the on ramp.

I just looked at streetview to see what that would be replacing. While the building with the wooden facade doesn't look like much of a loss, it seems like it would be a shame to lose the brick building (with the D&D). It's not the most remarkable building in the world, but it is handsome. Thoughts?

There was a fire in the building about 6 months back, not sure of the damage it caused but Dunks has been closed since, and the windows are boarded up on both buildings (street-side on Dunks building, rear on the other), so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Edit: It was actually about a year ago YouTube video of the fire

They remind me of those track sliding file cabinet systems.

Nice addition to the neighborbood none the less.

If it's burnt out I guess there is no loss, but it's a shame the project doesn't extend onto the Cornerstone lot.

This is the rearview of the 22-26 W. Broadway property. It looks like they will also be demolishing the grey house in the foreground for this project.

22-26 W. Broadway (Rearview)

If it's burnt out I guess there is no loss, but it's a shame the project doesn't extend onto the Cornerstone lot.

Cornerstone lot is owned by Pappas as is the vacant lot next to it.

Does anyone remember 6-8 years ago when the lot next to the Cornerstone got new fencing and a bunch of car "bunk beds"? Literally, a series of stainless steel lifts so that you could park two cars in one spot (one above the other). I never saw a car park there. And the lifts were gone a short time later. Anyone know anything about that or am I remembering a bad acid trip?

Oh, I know it, I know it well. Don't even get me started.

Some other time.

Only thing you're off on is that there were cars in there, belonging to residents at Court Square Press. Some of the cars belonging to residents at Court Square Press, that is other residents with cars had to park them five blocks away where the MBTA credit union is located.

That middle building looks awful thin........

Back