South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Re: South Boston Development

Some shots from Mondays walk through Southie.

115 B Str. 4/8

146 Athens Str. 4/8

160 Athens Str. 4/8

200 W. Broadway 4/8

380 W. Broadway 4/8

Tribune Towers (W. Broadway) 4/8

http://[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/beelinebos/8636650851/]
8636650851_f90a083e2b_c.jpg
[/url]
339D Str. 4/8

M Str. Condos 4/8

637 E. First Str. 4/8

535 E. First Str. 4/8

627 E. Second Str. 4/8

630 E. Second Str. 4/8

401 W First Str. 4/8

360 W Second Str. 4/8

90-98 Bolton Str. 4/8

Last edited:

Density is ok but one more floor on all of them would have meant that many more units. Design wise, blech.

Wasn't one of the biggest whines about modernism that so much of it looked the same? How is this any different? Most of these are the same kind of generic colonials built everyday everywhere in this country.

No, the biggest problem with modernism is that it's deadly to the street, being big, monolithic, and self-centered. Cities need a lot of buildings which don't demand to be the center of attention. They are the backdrop of life. They need to integrate in a friendly way into the overall street environment, because that is how 99% of people will interact with them.

Amazing how we can't seem to build the kind of quality urbanism that produced the Back Bay or South End anymore, but the terrible vernacular that's dominated South Boston for 150 years persists completely intact.

South Boston is an interesting place, that's for sure. I have family members who grew up there and moved out in the late 80s and early 90s and they're almost in awe of the transformation the neighborhood has undergone.

Heck, I haven't lived in South Boston for 6 years yet and the changes around me have been crazy.

If only we built as many new apartment units as we do self storage units around this city.

On a PSF basis, after expenses, they are a great investment around here. People got stuff, people don't like to throw away stuff. People store their stuff. It is a great racket.

Back