South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Pardon the ignorance, but I'm assuming those train tracks haven't been active for a long time (as likely further evidenced by the man just standing on them)?

I think that is Track 61 running along the Haul Road (talked about for possible Seaport DMU service, and new Red Line car testing). If so, yes, it is inactive.

As abutters to Track 61 at Channel Center are realizing, railroads may never go away, no matter how many decades or centuries pass. There's always a chance they'll be re-activated.

Buyer Beware, and all that.

As abutters to Track 61 at Channel Center are realizing, railroads may never go away, no matter how many decades or centuries pass. There's always a chance they'll be re-activated.

Buyer Beware, and all that.

My understanding is that a train needs to run on a track at least x-times a year for the companies to continue to hold the land. While there are almost never trains on that track, it is likely not officially inactive.

cca

It depends on whether the ROW is an easement or fee simple. Most railroads out west are or were easements. In New England the ROW are not easements, so they stick around much longer.

It depends on whether the ROW is an easement or fee simple. Most railroads out west are or were easements. In New England the ROW are not easements, so they stick around much longer.

Now that is damn fine infomation. Thanks Rando

Back