South End Infill and Small Developments

Chevron yesterday:

8558209872_e51d2402a2_b.jpg

8558208246_56c3948415_b.jpg

8558204620_384903d88b_b.jpg

Chevron yesterday:

8558209872_e51d2402a2_b.jpg

Great shot - shows how prominent this will be as you look up Tremont St. Hope the exterior materials are solid, the renderings make it look like a great addition to the street scape.

Wait, just to be clear, hell no am I buying at the Chevron (avg price: $3 mil for 2,500 square feet of space). I own a couple doors down. Our one-bedroom is on the top floor and we have a cupola on the roof. Or, should I say, half a cupola. The building next door is a twin and the two were built at the same time ... and we share the cupola with our next-door neighbor (the exterior, not the interior).

We hope and pray we never have to repair it b/c it's not clear who owns what.

There's probably a dozen? cupolas in the South End. And probably a hundred? in Dorchester. A very neat thing to have. There's hardly any room inside it; we use it for storage. It adds a lot of character to the unit so it was the selling point for us.

That looks much bigger than I expected it to be from the rendering. Just an observation.

bostoncchevronr1.jpg

Hate to make everyone who needs their greensapce feel bad, but with all the existing food options and new supermarket construction we have pending, plus bidding wars for closets, isn't it about time that the entire city block that abuts this place get turned into a housing site?

Wouldn't you think a hundred units coming on line between Shawmut and Tremont might make sense? Or does the need of a $20 worth of tomatoes for a fortnight a year for someone in the Castle Square Projects and a condom filled alley triumph over places for people to live? There is over an acre of land being used for "open space" there. Let Buffalo, Detroit, and other rust belt cities have their urban farms. Boston actually needs more housing.

Wouldn't you think a hundred units coming on line between Shawmut and Tremont might make sense? Or does the need of a $20 worth of tomatoes for a fortnight a year for someone in the Castle Square Projects and a condom filled alley triumph over places for people to live?

In the inverted logic universe of nimby/activist namby pambies, yes, vegetable justice trumps housing.

The "victory garden" there is blight. The war is over. We won.

Build a 5-7 story building spanning the block and put the garden on top. Or put the garden on top of the (renovated) roofs of Castle Square? I used to live near there and its rat city at night.

First time poster, long time reader!

There's an odd rendering of the renovation to New Hope church on Tremont Street. I guess it's being converted to 6 townhouses. The rendering shows entrances on what would become a second floor? Im not sure.

This is from Curbed Boston

baptistchurch.jpg

baptishchurchexterior.jpg

The rendering must show the Worcester Street side of the building.

Back