South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

Not really sure it depends. I know office towers usually have more than enough capacity for the switch because they need large public restrooms on each floor and tons of electrical capacity so I think it would be much harder to go from residential to office than from office to residential. I know there have been quite a few old office towers retrofitted to residential towers, but I don't believe I have ever heard of a residential tower being retrofitted into an office tower. So it seems like in this case they may be fine? The only thing I could them changing is scaling back the utilities in the residential portion so they can save money by not over building for no reason. Also they would need to change the layout of the water system from centrally located to be able to reach each unit plus a different layout for electricity/hvac but I don't think that would take much time to do.

Now, if we could only connect South Station with North Station

taxi to Airport Blue Line to State/Orange line to North Station.

or for a real good time, Silver Line to Red Line to Orange line or Green Line? :)

yes, it does suck. be interesting to time it.

Last edited:

Is this a real revival or a ploy by Hines to keep their designation?

Not really sure it depends. I know office towers usually have more than enough capacity for the switch because they need large public restrooms on each floor and tons of electrical capacity so I think it would be much harder to go from residential to office than from office to residential. I know there have been quite a few old office towers retrofitted to residential towers, but I don't believe I have ever heard of a residential tower being retrofitted into an office tower. So it seems like in this case they may be fine? The only thing I could them changing is scaling back the utilities in the residential portion so they can save money by not over building for no reason. Also they would need to change the layout of the water system from centrally located to be able to reach each unit plus a different layout for electricity/hvac but I don't think that would take much time to do.

It wont be TOO hard, since its a tower the shafts most likely go through building in the same locations depending on use, and the columns will remain the same. It's really removing the interior walls and re configuring to a tenant layout. It's really just a copy / past job from a similar floor.

Can anyone help clarify exacty where the tower is going?

It wont be TOO hard, since its a tower the shafts most likely go through building in the same locations depending on use, and the columns will remain the same. It's really removing the interior walls and re configuring to a tenant layout. It's really just a copy / past job from a similar floor.

Residential have much greater demands/requirements for windows. Cutting up a 20,000 sq. ft. floorplate could produce some quite cavernous feeling condos unless the building is very long and thin (millennium tower is a good example). I think this one is much fatter. The whole massing might have to change to make residential work.

Or maybe the proportions do work out and the building will look the same as older renders. I just don't think it is that obvious how to convert a building of this size.

Yea I know it was approved for 100% office space so it sounds like they need to amend it to swap some of the office space for residential.

I'm sure GE would scoop up a few units for use as corporate VIP apartments.

Residential have much greater demands/requirements for windows.

Easy solution, replace all offices with windows with condos. Core of offices, ring of condos.

You don't want your workers knowing when the sun goes down anyways; keep them working all night.

I hope the folks at Pelli Clarke Pelli slap a fresh coat of paint on the tower design. As proposed, it's 49 stories of cold porridge.

Easy solution, replace all offices with windows with condos. Core of offices, ring of condos.

You don't want your workers knowing when the sun goes down anyways; keep them working all night.

Or you have the building taper at the top. Stick the office on the lower levels, put the residential at the top.

Or you have the building taper at the top. Stick the office on the lower levels, put the residential at the top.

It already does. They would be more likely to put them there in the first place because residential demands greater views than offices and this building just so happens to be much smaller at the top than the bottom already so it should work out fine.

Thanks for confirming. That's insane!!

^Imagine the fun residents will have!: "Mom's coming to visit, remind her to take the 8:45, arriving on track 5, to elevator 7, to level 43, to apt. 428."

It already does. They would be more likely to put them there in the first place because residential demands greater views than offices and this building just so happens to be much smaller at the top than the bottom already so it should work out fine.

Yup, but it still may have to undergo a redesign depending on the % of office vs residential they are looking at. If it's more residential heavy, the setbacks may occur lower than currently designed.

Yup, but it still may have to undergo a redesign depending on the % of office vs residential they are looking at. If it's more residential heavy, the setbacks may occur lower than currently designed.

That might actually be a good thing, visually. A little more slender. Particularly from the harbor, this one's a bit of a fatty. Could help the proportions!

It would be nice to go back to the old proposal. Alas, it was scrapped I assume because of FAA height constraints.

southstationtower.jpg

It would be nice to go back to the old proposal. Alas, it was scrapped I assume because of FAA height constraints.

southstationtower.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the crown on that proposal. Looks tacky and doesn't integrate well with the rest of the structure. I like the newer proposal better to be honest.

It would be cool to get a spire just not one attached to a birds nest.

Back