South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

Hopefully this last post will put the SSX topic to bed. Can't nor should have a super thread and discuss both, cuz it'll be anarchy. James Dean once said; 'we're all involved.' It's not just a tower; it's our lives. In any case, it appears Governor Baker is commited to SSX – and we're saved;

full story; https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...h-rail-link/UV3vZNM50P9HI7OqJih65L/story.html

The Boston Globe; America's proletariat propaganda newspaper said:
Baker’s comments also underscored his rift with Dukakis over the need to expand already-congested South Station.

The Baker administration is moving ahead with a $1.6 billion plan, one that would add seven tracks at the station. Baker said the project, coupled with a move of the Postal Service facility next door, would unlock the development potential along the downtown side of Fort Point Channel while accommodating more frequent trains.

Dukakis argues that a North-South Rail Link would make a South Station expansion unnecessary, because trains could just continue through to routes north of Boston rather than stop in the city.

Baker is not convinced.

“I don’t see a scenario where not expanding South Station ultimately makes sense,” Baker said. “Governor Dukakis says we don’t need to expand South Station. I kind of think we do.”

The next post will beget a new page back on topic.

The way is was used in the article the projects are not mutually exclusive because one can happen without the other. As in you don't need to expand the station to build the NSRL. When it comes down to funding though its going to be next to impossible to fund both of these projects so what I was getting at is I would rather see NSRL over SST expansion because the link connects a major gap in the system and also frees up needed platform space for both stations instead of just one. If they can weasel money from the developers who are building at south station, maybe they could use their money to build the platform so the state money could instead be used on the NSRL. As it stands now the state would pay for both aka the taxpayers...not happening any time soon. That is probably the only way that both of these could be done in our lifetime. NSRL already most likely will not, but if they get a huge discount at South Station by obtaining and then selling post office land, track air rights, developer funding, and whatever else maybe there is a shot.

Stick -- I think F-Line has nailed the timetable issue -- however, as to cost and cost to the taxpayer:

NSRL is by far the more expensive [realistically $8B] and there is virtually no way to significantly reduce the taxpayer's burden by leveraging air rights development

South Station expansion is much cheaper and much faster to deliver relief -- and it also offers huge opportunities for development. First after the tracks are moved and platforms built construction can start on office / residential on the USPS facility footprint and also later the USPS parking area on A street can be developed intensively, if the new, slimmed-down USPS facility comes with its own garage or access to another garage.

Moral of the story -- do the homework now for the South Station Expansion and then hit the gas pedal when the time is appropriate

If you work the deal optimally -- the developer might pay for everything except for the new tracks

If you work the deal optimally -- the developer might pay for everything except for the new tracks

That would require Boston politics not to be corrupt and we know that will never happen.

Right. More likely developer gets extensive tax credits, which the state / city don't have to book as an expense, and so the work appears 'free'

Right. More likely developer gets extensive tax credits, which the state / city don't have to book as an expense, and so the work appears 'free'

CSTH -- or if they are full of Chinese money -- someone from the Kennedy School will promise to have the right-folks look the other way when Taiwan becomes part of the East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere ;)

Interesting master plan I found that I have never seen before. Via: addinc.com

100AcresMasterPlan_2_201202091546094.jpg

Looks really old. Atlantic Wharf still has its old design and the inset picture shows that it is still underconstruction.

Does that render reflect the track expansion?

btw, does anyone actually have an original date that the City formally announced the desire to see the Post Office moved away from the South Station transportation stub?

Does anyone know the original date the city formally announced it's desire for additional tracks?

Are they trying to reduce wind with all those sides?

Looks really old. Atlantic Wharf still has its old design and the inset picture shows that it is still underconstruction.

KentXie -- Plus there is a big green space where GE's "World Digital Industrial HQ" Complex is planned to be located

here's another similar view with a large collection of the neighbors that GE will rub elows with in the innovaion district
ge_wants_a_diverse_and_technologically_fluent_workforce_location.jpg

I'd love to see more side renders...another fatty in the pipeline

F1DVZhTQkrO9LfcfRypUO_CZZhM0Lah2m6Pp0X9s-onNH4gPlDN0Itb5lNQ1v0Xm4clz7ieKgenHXruF7vmGVpg8DT-2ulr5qzw6SJ_uN5R3fDELveva9hAppJHaNeNONx8_f6kGHcizh9mFxakkkRDuugVExkijpHtIoi7881qKjm3OwDZTllR09RCMmlQ-Nrj9R9nu8x8WRt0EcuWTxUyPEs0iHNFrejFDHCdkU1XyFmLlVK23Mq6Y3k_7m547AhfVXIfIbvKKjDNEb048giHDi4g320yJpRUbrUMN4T-I_CaVHJvrrhmUeNDkwUWhkr3e2ocs9euCtBSvwbHxi2gXRmgNNZcgzixnLljWut2_yXPnHPtn4qZRWRJJwwRGFQOQWxbrKyX-YNDdBRMhb4haZWEksrWzINi1yTu09y8j9XuOn0Amla9HsqvJUg1ZKQMjPNi0gBjaEnpd__i07SARksX2ihye46KyJ5-54WaMSuOPcmHhSOchDqLYTrzgJncjwKjgvKclaKgmJFZ9F6rO7SFfXtsvTVSFh8SnaAAac_cgV9uanjxqNUhZIUE5Han6-kFxX1B3bQFKmmr4tlSFow=w1730-h974-no

Here is a render from the NPC. It better shows other phases of the project other than the tower.

I don't like this design.
I think something in this location should be Iconic 700-800FT.
GRAND CENTRAL STATION type feel on the ground floor:
"TIMES square billboard on it." Something CRAZY

Will the base of the MBTA platforms all be redone for this project?

Fat base because that's where the existing footings are.
Dramatic reduction @ 2/3rds point b/c they wanted less office sq. footage in today's market, and a fat cross section didn't make sense for the residential portion.

Would have rather seen 2 step-ins rather than 1 dramatic one. And/or execute the step-ins in more than one dimension.

This is a challenging build site. I can understand that the developer doesn't want to push for an 800ft tower. Still this tower will be similar in height to the Millennium tower (678 ft). The tower isn't great but it's not bad.

^ Going by the FAA Logan Airspace Map, this site is on the border between a 300 foot max height zone and a 700 foot max height zone. The NPC shows that it rises right up to the 691 foot FAA limit.

Back