South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

Well if you include window washer thing on the top it will be 701 feet!

In all seriousness though thanks for going to the meetings and sharing information with us Odura! We should stop mocking him.

I can't believe in saying this, but i wish it was not approved. There a lot of things wrong with this:

1. design looks awful on/near the historic south station building

2. looks bad from multiple angles from near and a far

3. would much rather see the tenant of this building take up some of the other new office space (govt center, hub on causeway)

4. this street area is already very activated - it will not help that much in making this city a fun place to live/work.

with all that being said, this isn't the worst thing ever and it'll be fine (just not as good as the other new buildings IMO)

^^i got to speak with Mr. Perry about several things, including the changing of the middle part of the tower from offices to residences....

his response was to the effect that 'it's not easy to lease >1 million sq ft given current market conditions; including leasing higher floors.'

i also got into a conversation about the timetable of the groundbreaking...

his response was to the effect; 'pushing for early summer, but, despite not having to excavate, the site prep, and arch structure (and lower floors) will take quite a long while.'

iS tHIS being 699" to the FOOTLINGS???

so then Mike (Monahan) chuckles.... "first it wuz 7 something, then it wuz 644', and then it wuz 678'....."

and then Ted (Landsmark) asks, "why wuz it 678 feet and now it'z 677 feet?"

David (Perry); "Well Sir, the ocean rose a foot since the Dukakis.

Last edited:

I acutally like this. The original design was a bit better but I love the contrast between the old facade of South Station and the new glass tower.

Relating back to BuildItDenser's 1st point, I'd be curious to hear some of the architecturally-inclined members' views on what type of tower, ideally, should be built here. Considering this building will essentially become part of South Station. does this building add or subtract from South Station's presence?

Since the original South Station building has such historic value, should the new tower pay greater homage to the original design? Or does it pay greater respect to South Station by not trying to steal design cues from original building?

This might be more of a general discussion on design, but since it was brought up, I figured I'd ask it here.

I say make a clean break. Harvard University and Harvard Square are full of newer buildings that ape the past and are just Disney-esque brick caricatures. Same thing happened with the BPL addition in the 1960's, which allegedly paid homage to the original.

I say make a clean break. Harvard University and Harvard Square are full of newer buildings that ape the past and are just Disney-esque brick caricatures. Same thing happened with the BPL addition in the 1960's, which allegedly paid homage to the original.

I agree, clean break is important. Just look at the way the Hancock Tower (200 Clarendon) works with Trinity Church, the Copley Plaza Hotel and the Mckim Building.

I believe this is new:

5E_Harbor_View_Close_up_02.jpg

Not sure about this one:

4_Train_Station_Platform_Area.0.jpeg

Nice find and looks much better. Not perfect but certainly good enough for me. I knew that old 90s-ish render would never end up being the final product...

Great finds. I haven't seen either of those. Love that expressive structure at the train platform.

This is one of the BEST locations to build a SYMBOL in our Skyline.
I like the Ground Rendering but the Skyline remains underwhelming.

This is one of the BEST locations to build a SYMBOL in our Skyline.
I like the Ground Rendering but the Skyline remains underwhelming.

Challenge is it is a spec tower. It is not a corporate vanity tower. Hard to get iconic with on spec value engineering.

Challenge is it is a spec tower. It is not a corporate vanity tower. Hard to get iconic with on spec value engineering.

What is the difference between Spec Tower vs Vanity Tower? The location alone is going to get them the same rents no matter what they build.
Why couldn't they build a vanity tower in this location.

I do realize this is a complex location due to South Station in general.

Why couldn't they build a vanity tower in this location.

It already hits the FAA height limit for the site. By the time it's topped off it will be 5th tallest, Winthrop Square will knock it into 6th, and 1 Bromfield may eventually put it in 7th. (if we're lucky on that last one)

I realize it's not totally amazing by any means, but for what will soon be the 6th or 7th tallest in the city, how much more could really be expected of this?

It already hits the FAA height limit for the site. By the time it's topped off it will be 5th tallest, Winthrop Square will knock it into 6th, and 1 Bromfield may eventually put it in 7th. (if we're lucky on that last one)

I realize it's not totally amazing by any means, but for what will soon be the 6th or 7th tallest in the city, how much more could really be expected of this?

Its one of the PRIME locations in the city. This is what happens when you don't he have LOCAL Builders/developers that actually understand the city.

HINES is a group from Texas right?

Not sure if we have anymore local builders or developers besides Suffolk Construction.

Back