South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Keep in mind that in order to support the weight of all those busses, they need to install some deep trusses which you can see in some of the pictures that Beeline posted. Along track 1 & 2 where they won't be need to support the weight of the bus terminal I'm willing to bet that keeping the steel at the same height as the bottom of the trusses equates to an extra floor of rentable space.

Also, this picture seems to answer my previous question about that odd looking tower.

51097266534_ea344e0246_b.jpg

It looks like it is for access to that scaffolding set up you see wrapped in yellow. Now I'm just not sure why they built something out of steel instead of using pipe a scaffold stair/ladder tower.

Not just you. This is looking more and more like Penn Station, from the platform point of view. I wonder if anything in the plan is meant to mitigate that result.

Unlike Penn Station, it's just the platforms that have that situation. The train hall will stay the same and the end of the platforms will have the high, vaulted ceilings. Shouldn't need to spend much time in the tight areas.

It’s completely lacking in fireproofing, so it’s going to be quite a bit more boxed in than that.

Were there any renders of the platforms under the bus station expansion?

There's still a few solid feet between the canopies and the cross beams, though I'm surprised they've so far been leaving the platform canopies in place!

There's still a few solid feet between the canopies and the cross beams, though I'm surprised they've so far been leaving the platform canopies in place!
I'd bet that has to do with lighting. Keep the old lights in place until you put in new ones so you dont need to install tons of temporary lighting.

It’s completely lacking in fireproofing, so it’s going to be quite a bit more boxed in than that.

Were there any renders of the platforms under the bus station expansion?
I was fully expecting to be able to "see" this framing in the final product, just obstructed by louvers and lighting, hopefully.

Woohoo, it's actually happening! Girders are on the rise!! 15 years ago, the first post on this thread appeared. 15 freakin years! And I'm pretty sure there were several years prior that other plans for a South Station tower had been proposed. This project is just so damn amazing, and on so many levels. I'm thrilled, and I can't wait to see this baby finished.

Woohoo, it's actually happening! Girders are on the rise!! 15 years ago, the first post on this thread appeared. 15 freakin years! And I'm pretty sure there were several years prior that other plans for a South Station tower had been proposed. This project is just so damn amazing, and on so many levels. I'm thrilled, and I can't wait to see this baby finished.

Does anyone here think we will have another iteration of this tower before it goes vert? It's just strange that there are so few of them, and are mostly all several years old. I felt like we were seeing new renders from Winthrop and SST's shorter skinny and fat brothers over at North Station every other month leading up to and past construction. Just surprised a massive staple like this has so few new ones.

Whats the plan to keep diesel fumes from choking the people waiting at the platforms. Those are pretty low ceilings. Im sure theres going to be ventilation, but this is definitely one of the most enclosed station platforms on the CR system.

Whats the plan to keep diesel fumes from choking the people waiting at the platforms. Those are pretty low ceilings. Im sure theres going to be ventilation, but this is definitely one of the most enclosed station platforms on the CR system.

The engines back in to south Station.. they'll still be able to exhaust adequately

I believe...

Back