South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I got some photos from directly above yesterday. I’m sure some of you will enjoy these.

At first look I was thinking is that where the core is going to rise?… but then I remembered that this tower is going to be pretty unique in that the core does not start from ground level but will actually be above the arches over the platforms.

If Im not mistaken the core is going to start above these peoples heads and then be tied into the ground through each of the “legs” here.
South-stationbg.jpg

Zooming in on the image of the steel structure it looks like theres shorter diagonal bracing just above the open atrium running around the entire perimeter of the structure tying the perimeter columns together and then theres also a few very long diagonal braces that then tie the outer steel beams (which are tied together) directly to the columns of the atrium.

Last edited:
It's kind of difficult to tell from the renderings and plans, but will ANY of the new structure actually touch or tie-into the original historic head-house? From all the construction photos, I would guess not.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much all just in the historic train shed area and really just abutting the head house.

To the right of the station entrance. You can see the ground floor entrance/lobby in this pic.
south-station_rendering_exterior_office_entrance_final_hresgif

From there they go up a couple floors where theres some food and things
South-Station-Tower-Slider-ImageF-1400x816.jpg

And from there it appears they can walk down a hallway connected to the tower where the elevators will be.

It really wont be that bad esp if there are escalators. You just go in the entrance, walk up a floor or two on stairs or an escalator, then walk straight down the hall to the elevators.

Last edited:
I really hope the final platforms have sufficient ventilation that they don’t need the blue fans dangling from the ceiling.

Yeah, it will be a shame if the air quality at the platforms ends up being as bad as the platforms at Back Bay. The fans don't look great but the also don't look horrible, I'm much more concerned with the air quality than the fans themselves.

Yeah, it will be a shame if the air quality at the platforms ends up being as bad as the platforms at Back Bay. The fans don't look great but the also don't look horrible, I'm much more concerned with the air quality than the fans themselves.
The air quality will be flawless ONCE THEY ELECTRIFY THE DAMN SYSTEM

The air quality will be flawless ONCE THEY ELECTRIFY THE DAMN SYSTEM

True, but that's talking long-term. That's not going to happen until after South Station Tower is complete.

In the meantime, air quality at the South Station platforms will probably be poor.

Back