South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Latest update on South Station construction progress (from the project managers); bold-face added for emphasis:

Activity on Tracks and Platforms
  • The contractor is currently erecting a steel structure that will cover the entire railyard, which will support the expanded bus terminal. The new structure currently covers Tracks 1-12. The contractor will continue to place concrete on the steel structure, above the tracks, as it is completed.
  • The existing platform canopies are in the process of being removed during the overnight shifts. Crews are currently working to remove the canopy over Tracks 6 & 7 and will move sequentially until all canopies are demolished. This work should be completed in the next few months.
  • Crews continue to work at night in the railyard to begin fireproofing installation. This work may modify the paths of travel at the ends of the tracks during the overnight hours.
  • A second crane, located between the station and the Post Office (adjacent to Track 13), is erecting the east side of the expanded bus terminal. Due to this work, Track 13 is out of service. This crane will be demobilized in the coming weeks, and a smaller crane will take its place to complete the steel erection over Track 13 this fall.
  • In the Tower Work Zone, work continues on the concrete foundation for the tower. This concrete cap beam is expected to take 2 more weeks to complete.

Today
61210A96-EB5D-4E45-A6E7-D5185ED617FF.jpeg
11127092-A84A-4BAC-9D88-58073A63C9E1.jpeg

Extremely nerdy write-up about building the foundation to support the 51-story tower:

31.7m in to bedrock sounds extreme?

"The LBEs had an average concrete depth exceeding 36.58m and were socketed up to 31.7m into the bedrock."

31.7m in to bedrock sounds extreme?

Maybe the ongoing soap opera with Millenium Tower (SF) had something to do with that. LOL.
Sounds like they're really not taking any chances:

Treviicos stated that the project included strict quality control procedures, including the first time use of crosshole sonic logging (CSL) in the Boston area to evaluate concrete quality and verify that no anomalies exist that could affect the load carrying capacity of LBEs. All CSL testing was performed by a third-party geotechnical engineering services firm and all testing results met the specifications requirements.

Maybe the ongoing soap opera with Millenium Tower (SF) had something to do with that. LOL.

Honestly I was thinking this too. That's the type of high profile screwup you never want to be a part of. Can't be cutting any corners when it comes to a building's foundations.

Out of all the new towers in this cycle, I'm still most shocked this one actually is happening. Even now I half expect to open AB one morning and see that over my (Tokyo) night this whole thing got shut down. I guess this is really going forward though, with the now-rising super columns my rebarred-concrete visible proof?

Last edited:
Out of all the new towers in this cycle, I'm still most shocked this one actually is happening. Even now I half expect to open AB one morning and see that over my (Tokyo) night this whole thing got shut down. I guess this is really[i/] going forward though, with the now-rising super columns my rebarred-concrete visible proof?
Out of all the new towers in this cycle, I'm still most shocked this one actually is happening. Even now I half expect to open AB one morning and see that over my (Tokyo) night this whole thing got shut down. I guess this is really[i/] going forward though, with the now-rising super columns my rebarred-concrete visible proof?

Had this in a toss up with Parcel 12, but, yeah - two air rights projects in the cycle is something I didn't think would actually happen.

They haven't revealed the new life-science lab design yet....

/s

Honestly I still kinda cant believe this project is actually happening...
With the way the economy is headed, I'm happy that this and Parcel 12 on Mass Ave already commenced construction.

Back