South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I might be the only one that doesn't mind the more industrial open ceiling, but maybe I have been conditioned to find it normal now with the last decade+ trend of open ceiling offices.
I personally like such exposed ceiling work, but I'm not sure it's the right look for a train station. I'd like to see something more grand for these platforms.

If I had to guess, I would expect it to be left open. The locomotives of the commuter rail would make any finished product nearly impossible to maintain other than black soot, so essentially we would get the same thing but on a flat surface rather than utility looking. I don't think they should spend the money on a ceiling in a train shed. I would rather they put the money into the arched areas and the building itself.
v good points!

Could see something like partial dropped ceilings using perforated screening panels directly over the platforms, but leave the areas over the track pits open. Have seen something similar in other stations like Shin Osaka in Japan (also kind of a basic station) and it looks good. Doesn’t N. Station also have some of this under the overhang?

It might be possible to create an acceptable result with open ceilings. Sheath the columns, decent finishes on the platforms other than bare concrete. Something to dress it up.

F_yte6oW0AAmmAJ

F_yte6mWAAIUNQm

I don't mind the industrial open ceiling look. Cool open screens could really enhance the space, though. However, I hope they maintain the lighting! It bothers me so much when I see 3 or 4 burned out segments of a long linear lighting fixture like these. The lights in the Big Dig tunnels come to mind.

Something like the ceiling in my old Autodesk office in Waltham would work for architectural screening.

1701129873974.png
1701129936898.png

Is that the first concrete floor? If you zoom in it appears to be rebar sticking up.

A week old. Comparing to the more recent pictures, looks like the window pane installations are really flying:

20231126_113456.jpg

20231128_102345.jpg

20231128_102355.jpg

EDIT - Forgot about a couple of cool night time shots, with the tower lit up with construction lights. Really shows what more lighting can do to Boston's skyline:
20231127_170343.jpg

IMG-20231202-WA0010.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not a mirrored glass person, but I can admire that they sprang for the good quality glass.
Yeah, IRL it's looking (so far) more elegant and pretty than I'd anticipated based on the renders. Not quite the level of high-quality glass that 1 Dalton had/has, but this is looking good so far.

When does construction continue on the top, narrower half? Seems like it's been at this level for awhile now.

Just a guess, but since they're going to be building and pouring all (most?) of the remaining floors as concrete, they'll need to build the framing rig that will climb as the new floors are added. Stealing a great shot from Beeline from when Winthrop was at this stage. Note that these are a couple floors in total height, and you can see the elevator shaft about a floor higher than the rest. Not sure when construction will start, but we'd need to see some sign of infrastructure in place before anything can happen.

1702412444993.png

This is probably going to be similar to what they did for the Hub Residential tower, except in that case the steel was only for the first few stories of podium, whereas here it's like 30+ stories already. Honestly I'm surprised that steel would be able to support poured concrete this high off the ground, but that's why I'm just an enthusiast and not an expert!

Back