St Paul's Cathedral Alteration (Nautilus Pediment) | Tremont St | Downtown Crossing

briv

Reaction score
For almost 200 years the Cathedral Church of St. Paul on Tremont St. has stood conspicuously unfinished with its blank pediment facing the Common.

750px-Cathedral_Church_of_St_Paul_05Feb2008.jpg

By fall, this will be no more. The Diocese has chosen a new, somewhat controversial, pediment design by Philadelphia artist, Donald Lipski, that will installed by October of this year.

st_pauls__pediment.jpg

st_pauls_pediment_night.jpg

You can read more about the design on St Paul's site. The critical reaction on Universal Hub has also prompted the artist to personally respond in the comments with an in-depth explanation of the design.

good god that's obnoxious..it's like practically begging for attention....it's not ugly but what made St Paul's nice was that it was so purely classical

the only part I find obnoxious is the blue background, I understand it in terms of history and design I just dont particularly like it. I do find the nautilus a realy interesting and well thought out choice for a church pediment. I like it, just not the stark blue background.

EDIT: I think I was drunk when I typed this... just cleaned up my horrific typing skills.

Last edited:
I agree. I wish the nautilus could be without a background carved from a thick stone, using depth instead of color to bring it to life. Like another commenter said, MassArt isn't churning out master stone masons though. =/

The designer's commentary is fantastic. It's a very inspired design. I still think it will be a beautiful addition.

Beautiful! Especially love the night-time rendering!

I too like and understand the design, but feel the blue is a detraction. The beauty of St. Paul's is in its simplicity. The blue is an unfortunate choice.

Toby thx for posting. Very interesting. IMO the cathedral looked better with trees in front of it.

Sometimes?

That said, it's almost impressive that he manged to attain local stardom.

I had no idea that guy was famous...but somehow everyone in Boston appears to know him.

I guess that speaks volumes about the low homeless level in Boston...which is nice!

I think it speaks more to his unique voice, begging 'style' and persistence.

I think it speaks more to his unique voice, begging 'style' and persistence.

That's true. I love how sometimes he'll throw his hands up in total disbelief, as if he doesn't understand why people aren't giving him fist-fulls of cash.

...though to my other point, Boston's homeless level is very low compared to many other places.

Back