St Paul's Cathedral Alteration (Nautilus Pediment) | Tremont St | Downtown Crossing

Glad to hear this is temporary. It's interesting but way too new age-y IMO.

Don't care for it personally but it is somewhat in keeping with the colorful painting of Greek/Roman temples and statues that was done way back in the day.

So, temporary in the same way the Eiffel Tower was temporary?

^ this

I still am on the "i like it" side of the argument, but I'm holding out final judgement untill it is done and i can see it in person.

From UHub:

pediment.jpg

Huh. I like more than I thought I would. Have to go visit in person.

Anyone have an idea what it might cost to finish the pediment as planned? Ballpark obviously - a few hundred thousand, a million, more?

The seams in the blue backing look cheap in strong sunlight. I like the nautilus part. I hope at some point they remove the blue panels and just have the nautilus with the rough stone behind it, if possible.
8708858314_fe432059e9_b.jpg

8707744513_aa80ff38bf_b.jpg

8708864974_a7e9dedd11_b.jpg

Can't stand the fact that the bottom of the nautilus doesn't reach the stone.

^ Me too.

Good god, even this got value engineered. The render showed so much depth.

Ya and that horizontal brace along the bottom sticks out like a sore thumb too. There are issues with the execution that keep this from looking good.

The render showed so much depth.

Yes, the lack of depth is yet another problem with its execution. They also thinned it down to a lattice-type width whereas the render showed more muscular proportions.

st_pauls__pediment.jpg

Yeah, they ended up just using conventional metal tubing with the same width/diameter. It makes it look very 2D, very flimsy, and very cheap. Heck, it would have been better if they printed a darn picture of the way they rendered it and hung it up there without any of the tubing.

Is it possible they're not done constructing the piece? Perhaps the tubing that we see there now is just structural and the cathedral plans to later put on some sort of plaster or other material that's more akin to the proposed rendering.

^ I have a feeling this isn't finished yet.

Back