St Paul's Cathedral Alteration (Nautilus Pediment) | Tremont St | Downtown Crossing

^ I have a feeling this isn't finished yet.

But why would they completely remove the scaffolding in the middle of the project? Also, if they had another layer to add it would project out from the stone which (again) wouldn't line up with the rendering.

In the closeup photo, the short tubing-like projections look to be attachment points for pieces to come.

In the closeup photo, the short tubing-like projections look to be attachment points for pieces to come.

Aren't they in fact the anti-pigeon spikes? I'm noticing more and more of them on downtown rooflines...

Aren't they in fact the anti-pigeon spikes? I'm noticing more and more of them on downtown rooflines...

No. Some point downward.

If you look at the rendering, the projections/spikes line up where there are thicker pieces of the nautilus.

If this is the final product, I'm going to throw open their doors and yell at the top of my lungs: "Hey, just so you know your new roof is the LAUGHINGSTOCK OF THE ENTIRE CITY!!!!!" It looks like it was designed by an elementary school art class.

There's no way this is the final product...right? The half-assed tubing, visible seams, etc...there's absolutely no way this is done...I hope.

This is looking more and more like it's unfinished. Was there an official unveiling? Or did they just remove the scaffolding?

The following is from The Cathedral Church of St. Paul website:

The Nautilus Sculpture

The Cathedral selected artist Donald Lipski to finish the Cathedral's pediment. Read more about the project and the history here. Read an extensive review of the new Cathedral pediment design from "The Living Church,” a national publication.

The Nautilus sculpture by artist Donald Lipski is being installed, and we will have our inaugural lighting-up on the evening of Wednesday, May 8th. There will be food, music, and fun and surprises for kids and adults beginning at 6:00 p.m., Remarks at 7:15 pm with a service of dedication and blessing following.

Bp. M. Thomas Shaw, SSJE, will preside and lead the entire congregation in blessing the Nautilus. Everyone is invited to join us for the public debut of this new work of art, which has been hailed as the most significant new work of public art in decades.

A few words on the project from our Dean, The Very Rev. John P. Streit

"There are dreamers and there are builders, and each is his or her own kind of visionary and genius.

The sculptor Donald Lipski had a vision of a beautiful section of a nautilus shell, spiraling out from the center of the Cathedral pediment, backed by a beautiful blue background, giving color and an inviting vibrancy to our rather somber building. He was able to share his vision through the modern miracle of computer software and so the Cathedral was magically transformed, at least in his computer-enhanced photographs.

Lipski's vision is now being made, hammered and bent and welded into a large, arcing sculpture that will be transported across the United State in a large flatbed truck and then installed in the pediment at the apex of our building. John Grant is the project manager, the builder who has the task of translating a vision into an actual piece of art. He has had to figure out how to actually make it. His initial idea of crafting it from molten aluminum was not chosen because it would have been too time consuming, too expensive and in the end making something too heavy for our pediment, and so he devised a method of cutting long, flat pieces of aluminum, curving slightly them inward and then welding them to aluminum piping, creating pieces that can then be bent into arcs and welded together to form the outward spiraling form of the nautilus.

I flew out to Denver to check on the progress and see up close how our pediment sculpture was being made and how it looks. I had an opportunity to have an extended conversation with John Grant, meet his partner Michael Mancarella and also meet Cody Moore and Scott Schuller, the two young men who have spent the last several months bending, welding, grinding aluminum into the shape of a nautilus shell. They were hard at work when I visited the shop, an enclosed area like a very large garage or a very small airplane hanger. The sculpture is coming into being on the floor, actually being built over a large, true-to-life scale outline on paper of the Cathedral's pediment dimensions.

Like any workshop there were electrical cords crisscrossing everywhere and tools lying around ready for use. The paper outline of the Cathedral pediment lying on the floor is now somewhat ragged and dirty, covered by dark grey aluminum dust that is produced when the aluminum pieces are ground and shaped, but in the midst of all this the nautilus sculpture lies miraculously immaculate, the aluminum burnished and shining, the metal arms arcing out with grace and beauty just like the much smaller original nautilus that is the model.

I can't wait for it to be shining from our Cathedral, inviting and welcoming people into the gospel witness of our ministry and worship."

- The Rev. John P. Streit, Jr., Dean
The Cathedral Church of St. Paul

Since the inaugural lighting is scheduled for this Wednesday night, it sounds like what you see is what you get.

pedimentnight.jpg

^^^ This image from st. Paul's website is not what is there in the recent pictures.

As dignified as one would expect from the bum church.

No kidding. What kind of church gives shelter to the poor?

This building is a national historic landmark. Are there no rules about altering the exterior of the building? I feel bad that the church probably spent a lot of money on this.

This building is a national historic landmark. Are there no rules about altering the exterior of the building? I feel bad that the church probably spent a lot of money on this.

To be honest, I think the problem may be that they didn't spend a lot of money. Seriously the nautilus looks like it's made out of PVC pipe.

There's visible creases all over the back, the nautilus itself is about 33% the thickness it was shown as in the rendering...it's just really really disappointing.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that landmark rules generally don't apply to churches because of the First Amendment.

To be honest, I think the problem may be that they didn't spend a lot of money. Seriously the nautilus looks like it's made out of PVC pipe.

There's visible creases all over the back, the nautilus itself is about 33% the thickness it was shown as in the rendering...it's just really really disappointing.

I think the thickness is one of the big issues here. I was never a fan of this to begin with, but the difference between what was proposed and what was installed is pretty significant. If it was thicker you'd see less of the blue and les of the seams.

Anyone have a photo of what it looks like at night?

I was there about 11:30pm on Saturday night and it wasn't lit up.

I am really disappointed in this. I was so excited to see a truly modern pediment on this Building with an interesting concept. The concept is still there, but the execution is painfully lacking. I was possibly the biggest cheerleader for this sculpture on this board but i have to say, it looks like shit. If it was carved stone like the renderings show, it would be beautiful, but instead we got white PEX pike that wasn't even cut to the correct lengths. Shameful.

I wonder if the artist will keep his name on this?

Back