State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

Scaffolding going up on the haymarket side of Congress st. Maybe prep work for demo?

I will get excited about removing the rest of the garage when the DD and convenience store close.

DD and store were still open as of this morning, but clearly some new movement brewing on part of the site. JMA was erecting barriers/hoarding this morning.
9584100E-7D14-42F8-8D76-40750146AB00.jpeg
7559D747-D278-4D3A-8639-2FADEA5C2F9C.jpeg

I'm confused. Will the entire garage be demolished or will the central core remain?

I'm confused. Will the entire garage be demolished or will the central core remain?
Out of 2,300 total spaces, roughly 1,100 will remain. All of the garage over Congress and towards Haymarket will be demolished, but the section between the u/c residential and u/c office buildings will remain (and be slightly expanded into the first floors of the office tower.

Out of 2,300 total spaces, roughly 1,100 will remain. All of the garage over Congress and towards Haymarket will be demolished, but the section between the u/c residential and u/c office buildings will remain (and be slightly expanded into the first floors of the office tower.

Pretty incredible that we are getting hundreds of new units, hundreds of thousands of sq. feet of office space, increased tax revenue, density, skyline impact, etc., AND removing 1200 parking spaces downtown. This is like having our cake and eating it too!

Will the facade of the remaining sections of the garage remain the same, or hopefully, get an updated look to better match the new buildings?

Will the facade of the remaining sections of the garage remain the same, or hopefully, get an updated look to better match the new buildings?
Atlantaden -- it looks as though the "Gov't Center Garage" Look circa 1965 is still there
residentialtower_sudbury_bowker_image.jpg

from the Bulfinch Crossing PR website

but of course that is That Corner -- opposite to it is the Non-Corner to be occupied by the State Street Corporation Tower [aka One Congress] which doesn't look much as if it has anything to do with this Residential Tower

components_one_congress_lobby_exterior_image.jpg

Somewhere behind all that curving glass is the remnants of the old Government Center Parking Garage

components_one_congress_hero_shot_image.jpg

But it is well hidden

Last edited:
^ That doesn't look like a render of the finished complex though. Isn't that just showing the completed residential building? Isn't the garage still straddling Congress St in that render?

That seems strange for them to keep a "in process" picture on a site designed to recruit customers

Here is their Master Plan view -- and even here you can still see some of the "Government Center Parking Garage" -- a look which was hot when the Beetles were a new phenomenon

master_plan.jpg

even bearing in mind the "fat" sides (unfortunate), one congress is so far and away the most daring, interesting high-rise project in boston in my lifetime. fingers crossed there are no last-minute, 11th-hour "tweaks" that change this in any appreciable way. if only winthrop's design had been so bold.

That seems strange for them to keep a "in process" picture on a site designed to recruit customers

Here is their Master Plan view -- and even here you can still see some of the "Government Center Parking Garage" -- a look which was hot when the Beetles were a new phenomenon

I can tell where the old structure is compared with the new, but as far as if they're going to keep it as-is or reclad, that site plan pretty clearly appears to re-do the remaining garage façade.

the only place you will be able to see the garage is along Bowker St.
that is not garage along Congress St in the rendering above

Back