State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

DZH22

Reaction score
Both buildings looks super chunky in the renders, yet neither is turning out that way in real life. Compared to the typical Boston highrise, these are positively svelte!

shmessy

Reaction score
That’s what caught my eye! So cool, seems like it made of metal links that can be adjusted. Love the term “flowing hem”. Wasn’t sure what to call it.
I thnk your pic there is the first solid indication of it coming together. There are a few posts since the last week of December with pics showing the early stages of what is turning out to be one of the hemlines. But your pic is definitely the first indication I'm seeing of the two in concert.

Last edited:

chrisbrat

Reaction score
honest ask: what do you mean by "better than the four seasons b/c it's steel?" both are steel frame, glass-clad towers. no?

HenryAlan

Reaction score
But returning to the question of concrete vs. steel, what is the value judgement in play here? Is it just that steel is more fun to watch going up?

whighlander

Reaction score
But returning to the question of concrete vs. steel, what is the value judgement in play here? Is it just that steel is more fun to watch going up?
Full disclosure -- Yea!! 😜

I can pour concrete into wooden forms and make concrete pads and walls -- climbing out on a steel girder with not a whole lot below to affix it to a vertical -- that's a different level of excitement -- a bit like watching someone run on a track or in a field [concrete] versus watching someone climb rock with minimal support

On the other hand the Romans did some amazing things with concrete [e.g. the Pantheon] -- so it is a value judgement

bigpicture7

Reaction score
Full disclosure -- Yea!! 😜

I can pour concrete into wooden forms and make concrete pads and walls -- climbing out on a steel girder with not a whole lot below to affix it to a vertical -- that's a different level of excitement -- a bit like watching someone run on a track or in a field [concrete] versus watching someone climb rock with minimal support

On the other hand the Romans did some amazing things with concrete [e.g. the Pantheon] -- so it is a value judgement
So you can do this?:

whighlander

Reaction score
So you can do this?:
No of course not in detail -- but fundamentally -- yes I have several times in building decks raised quite high above the surroundings

On the other hand my tools and expertise involved with fabricating steel is extremely limited -- essentially to things which I can hold in my hands
and as I said earlier -- I really admire the folks doing the high iron because of the exposure factor -- concrete is always poured with something supporting the pour [by definition]