Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Not sure I'm crazy about the glass... the renderings made it seem like it'd be more sliver/gray tint and its more greenish.

Does anybody know the specifics on that green tinted glass we see everywhere now? Is it cheaper than clearer glass or other colored glass or is it just a design choice?

^^If I know a thing or two about condo buyers for a place like this, it's that they like privacy. Although the silver/gray or even fully transparent glass looked amazing in initial renderings for this and 22 Liberty, I believe the tint they both ended up with will offer the residents a greater degree of privacy from onlookers peering over in neighboring towers.

The 1daltoncontruction.com website has been updated with a "July-September 2017 Progress" report.

1daltonconstruction said:
During the past three months, the concrete pours for levels 10-24 were completed and steel for the of the Belt Truss System begun. Curtainwall installation has been completed up to level 12 and the drywall is up to level 3. The basement levels continue to be built out, including the kitchen with its equipment. The H4/H5 podium elevators are shaft ready and the core elevators have railings installed up to level 8 and the pits are completed. The exterior hoist is now running up to level 16. The pool has been installed on level 7, but, unfortunately, not quite ready to take a dip in yet! The level 5 mechanical room has all major equipment installed and is continuing to be built out. Summer is unfortunately gone and SCCI is currently prepping for winter by providing temporary heat on the floors so work can continue.

The next 3 months include the following activities:
  • Concrete Structure – Level 26-37 and top of belt truss steel system
  • Hoist access – Up to Level 30
  • Curtainwall – Up to Level 25
  • Storefront Framing – Level 1
  • Core Elevators – Pits complete, railings installed to Level 18
  • H4/H5 Podium Elevators – Railings to Level 08
  • Rough in – In Progress up to Level 21 (Hotel)
  • Drywall/Finishes – In Progress up to Level 16 (Hotel)
  • B2 NSTAR Room Energization
  • MEP Equipment – Start-up, and Testing on Level 5
  • Temp Heat for Winter 2017 – Complete

Check the site for pictures

Not sure I'm crazy about the glass... the renderings made it seem like it'd be more sliver/gray tint and its more greenish.

Does anybody know the specifics on that green tinted glass we see everywhere now? Is it cheaper than clearer glass or other colored glass or is it just a design choice?

I have to agree, it looks very similar to 30 Dalton and I am not a fan of how that turned out. Hopefully it will look different when it's all finished. At least the curves are nice.

Glass tends to have a bit of a greenish tint to it because of traces of iron in it. Special low iron glass is clearer, and naturally more expensive because of the need for purer sand.

Low-iron glass is a type of high-clarity glass that is made from silica with very low amounts of iron. This low level of iron removes the greenish-blue tint that can be seen especially on larger and thicker sizes of glass.[1] Low-iron glass is used for aquariums, display cases, some windows, and other applications where clarity is desired.[2]

Low-iron glass typically has a ferric oxide content of about 0.01%.[1] Ordinary plate glass has about 10x as much iron content.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-iron_glass

Surprised so many feel this glass is green. I've been by the site often and I've never gotten that impression at all. It's (to me) dark grey with a subtle mirror effect. Looks classy as f@ck to me. Maybe I'm color blind. 🤷🏻*♂️

EVERY building is rendered with lighter-than-air silver glass, and EVERY building save for a few ends up with dark glass. That's just how it goes.

EVERY building is rendered with lighter-than-air silver glass, and EVERY building save for a few ends up with dark glass. That's just how it goes.

Sigh ... its not dark. Its standard clear (not low iron). It will look less dark when the interior finishes are up and the lights are on.

(cut and pasted from every conversation from every thread lamenting the dark glass thing)

cca

Sigh ... its not dark. Its standard clear (not low iron). It will look less dark when the interior finishes are up and the lights are on.

(cut and pasted from every conversation from every thread lamenting the dark glass thing)

cca

Thanks, I remember watching this occur with MT. The until the interiors are finished, the floors are dark and cavernous making the glass look dark as well. You could see the vast difference between finished floors and unfinished floors while the interiors were being completed from the ground up. The glass will look lighter once that work starts happening.

I keep waiting for this to break the plateau and it just refuses to do so. Anyways seeing this from the back bay between the gaps in the streets you can see its going to really stand on its own.

^ It will speed up again soon. First gotta get through the installation of the first belt truss:

Tall-building-with-conventional-outriggers-R.-Shankar-nair.jpg

Tall-building-with-conventional-outriggers-and-belt-truss.jpg

Once this is installed, it will cruise again for a long while.

Belt truss is key to minimizing building sway. You guys want tall buildings, then gotta deal with this stuff : )

Last edited:
Follow Up:

As has been referred to previously on this thread, the 1daltonconstruction website makes it clear that the belt truss system installation is what they're in the midst of.

From that site, some very cool pics of the steel belt truss (beginning on Floor 21) amidst the concrete construction:

9b0f90_e1e49ed0098941178115adf09f423329~mv2_d_2016_1512_s_2.jpg

9b0f90_6b21283cbdfc478bbc06f431782be015~mv2_d_1512_2016_s_2.jpg

9b0f90_a5caef1a87604ee79fe8aff5c6235b52~mv2_d_3024_4032_s_4_2.jpg

Details & renders released about the $40M penthouse:

From this article:
- move-in ready at the end of next year
- dual-level penthouse on 60th & 61st floors
- 7,300 sq-ft
- 570 sq-ft covered private terrace

penthouse-3.jpg

penthouse-21.jpg

penthouse-11.jpg

I hate gold in interior design. It was tacky in the 80's and it just as tacky now.

Those Barcelona chairs are better to look at than to sit in.

Back