State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

Both buildings looks super chunky in the renders, yet neither is turning out that way in real life. Compared to the typical Boston highrise, these are positively svelte!

Wow!!!! The flowing hem is beginning to take shape!!!!!!!

That’s what caught my eye! So cool, seems like it made of metal links that can be adjusted. Love the term “flowing hem”. Wasn’t sure what to call it.

That’s what caught my eye! So cool, seems like it made of metal links that can be adjusted. Love the term “flowing hem”. Wasn’t sure what to call it.

I thnk your pic there is the first solid indication of it coming together. There are a few posts since the last week of December with pics showing the early stages of what is turning out to be one of the hemlines. But your pic is definitely the first indication I'm seeing of the two in concert.

Last edited:
20210125_130438.jpg

From @BulfinchXing on Twitter

honest ask: what do you mean by "better than the four seasons b/c it's steel?" both are steel frame, glass-clad towers. no?

But returning to the question of concrete vs. steel, what is the value judgement in play here? Is it just that steel is more fun to watch going up?

But returning to the question of concrete vs. steel, what is the value judgement in play here? Is it just that steel is more fun to watch going up?
Full disclosure -- Yea!! 😜

I can pour concrete into wooden forms and make concrete pads and walls -- climbing out on a steel girder with not a whole lot below to affix it to a vertical -- that's a different level of excitement -- a bit like watching someone run on a track or in a field [concrete] versus watching someone climb rock with minimal support

On the other hand the Romans did some amazing things with concrete [e.g. the Pantheon] -- so it is a value judgement

Full disclosure -- Yea!! 😜

I can pour concrete into wooden forms and make concrete pads and walls -- climbing out on a steel girder with not a whole lot below to affix it to a vertical -- that's a different level of excitement -- a bit like watching someone run on a track or in a field [concrete] versus watching someone climb rock with minimal support

On the other hand the Romans did some amazing things with concrete [e.g. the Pantheon] -- so it is a value judgement

So you can do this?:

So you can do this?:
No of course not in detail -- but fundamentally -- yes I have several times in building decks raised quite high above the surroundings

On the other hand my tools and expertise involved with fabricating steel is extremely limited -- essentially to things which I can hold in my hands
and as I said earlier -- I really admire the folks doing the high iron because of the exposure factor -- concrete is always poured with something supporting the pour [by definition]

When I first saw the rendering a few years ago, I thought the bold architectural posturing would be a welcome addition to the Boston skyline. But this is one of those building that really needs to be in it's final stages of construction to determine how well it going to fit. There is a shorter / similar shaped building in the seaport (I'm sure someone in aB will reference it) that, quite frankly, I find very unappealing. I'll reserved judgment on this one until it gets closer to completion.

I think it is that steel simply rises faster. So people get their height fetish satisfied more quickly.
Jeff -- perhaps its that the steel framework is always way ahead of the rest of the building -- so that your imagination has more reign
Concrete essentially [with the exception of cores] is unveiled from the forms -- fully formed just missing the outer cladding

Or perhaps its just that we have a hundred plus years of seeing steel being erected with "daring young men" out on the "flying beams" -- possibly because those kinds of pictures fascinate news photographers
There are far fewer "exciting pix" of two guys standing next to a bucket of concrete being dumped into a form or even less exciting? -- seeing a hose squirting concrete

There is a shorter / similar shaped building in the seaport (I'm sure someone in aB will reference it) that, quite frankly, I find very unappealing. I'll reserved judgment on this one until it gets closer to completion.
You are talking about 121 Seaport Blvd most likely, but I think there is not much similarity aside from the oval shaped floor plate.

121Seaport.jpg

Back