State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

I would second this but not Burying the above parking garage makes me have doubts that the development will be perfection. The ground level might feel cold

The renderings do look amazing

As you can see by stick n move's post, the garage will be buried behind other structures, the street wall will be fine. That's always been one of the key features of this -- that the garage not only no longer crosses Congress St. but that it essentially disappears.

Re: One Congress | West End

WTF? How could this possibly have been the lowest-cost option?

Was thinking about this, and perhaps the amount of square footage they have there is a lot less than what they have now at One Lincoln. And since it's designed around open office floorplans (eww) you can fit a lot more people in the same space.

I'm in a similar boat. My one gripe is that the "Iconic Retail" seems like it'll alter what is otherwise a straight extension of Canal Street to the Boston Public Market. I'm not sure the alignment in the render makes as much sense. But it's not bad. And it does funnel people out to an already fairly well-activated area on the Greenway side of the BPM (which will be even more active as they're adding a section for local breweries along that facade) and a great Greenway parcel.

The sidewalk doesnt pass in front of the boutique office, its funneled through the new plaza from the greenway and canal st. Look at the sidewalks/crosswalks and it makes perfect sense and is the best way to align it. One of the crosswalks on the Canal st side is kind of kidden by the blue line going to “boutique office”. Zoom in and look at how the sidewalks are funneled into the plaza then the iconic retail spreads them back out to the greenway/congress st. The crosswalks tell it all along with no sidewalk on the greenway side of the boutique office.

2017_04_05_HYM_One_Congress_Axon_View_Labels_small.jpg

The sidewalk doesnt pass in front of the boutique office, its funneled through the new plaza from the greenway and canal st. Look at the sidewalks/crosswalks and it makes perfect sense and is the best way to align it. One of the crosswalks on the Canal st side is kind of kidden by the blue line going to “boutique office”. Zoom in and look at how the sidewalks are funneled into the plaza then the iconic retail spreads them back out to the greenway/congress st. The crosswalks tell it all along with no sidewalk on the greenway side of the boutique office.

2017_04_05_HYM_One_Congress_Axon_View_Labels_small.jpg

Between the Hub on Causeway arcade and this plaza, the whole alignment really does scream as planning for a pedestrian mall Canal Street.

Looking at that graphic and seeing how the old garage is incorporated into the development makes me wonder how they made it structurally sound ?

Looking at that graphic and seeing how the old garage is incorporated into the development makes me wonder how they made it structurally sound ?

Engineering

A lot of scaffolding going up on the New Chardon side of the project. Does not appear related to residential. Is the drum ramp about to come down?

Re: Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Yes!! Can't wait for more of the garage to start coming down.

Re: Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

I just used this the other day going to the VA in the jfk towers and that rear exit is great. Instead of throwing you out into traffic you go onto a nice side street. I was able to look into the tower and not a whole lot to report back but I couldnt tell how the inside interacts with the garage as the office allows parking on the lower new floor plates, this didnt look like it did.

Another cool thing is 110 Sudbury is pretty tall and even 200 I count about 36 floors so its no slouch either. Massive improvement here.

The New Chardon Street main entrance to the the GC Garage is now closed. It is moved to Bowker Street which I believe is the new permanent entrance? Also, very heavy duty scaffolding/debris fall protection erected above Bowker. I expect a lot of activity here soon.

This is really exciting until you reference the other Bulfinch building thread and see it took them a year to demo and prep the site and another 6 months after that until anything starting popping up above ground.

So January 2021 we should see this above ground which makes sense I think for a 2023 move in date right?

^ Probably somewhat faster, as the office building will be *steel-framed rather than concrete.

*educated guess/assumption based on a conversation with a key member of the HYM team.

^ Probably somewhat faster, as the office building will be *steel-framed rather than concrete.

*educated guess/assumption based on a conversation with a key member of the HYM team.

Also totally different prep for this - the building is mostly situated off of the existing garage footprint, as opposed to the other side where they had to carve out their whole worksite.

I'd expect steel - the Hub on Causeway is concrete residential and steel office...

It would be cool if these end up going up more or less in tandem.

It would be cool if these end up going up more or less in tandem.

What other building do you refer to with "these"? The office tower will likely go up in tandem with the residential building at the corner of Mass Ave and Boylston.

The New Chardon Street main entrance to the the GC Garage is now closed. It is moved to Bowker Street which I believe is the new permanent entrance? Also, very heavy duty scaffolding/debris fall protection erected above Bowker. I expect a lot of activity here soon.

I noticed that as well. I'm extremely excited. I love this as proposed and can't wait for the tower to be complete, but this is one instance where even if the economy tanked and this ground to a halt, the demo of the garage over Merrimac alone would be a net win.

It gets overshadowed by the office tower, but this isnt much shorter either.

the residential building has far better proportions. The Pelli building is going to look like a bar of Safeguard from some angles.

^^This. The office tower will have 1 overbearing feature.

I think the office tower is ~90' taller,

i hate to deliver bad news but, it's going to reach

601 feet to the tip. :mad:

considering it was originally proposed to go ~700', this kinda sucks.

Back