State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

This will be a great addition. The renderings look incredible.
Not sure how the garage will be on the ground floor but you have to work with what you have.

Re: One Congress | West End

Thanks for confirming. I was fairly positive it was still Merrimac at this point.

And thanks for linking the diagram. It'll be pretty neat to have the Haymarket bus station exposed to the open sky for the first time in a long time. I wonder how soon demo will begin on the garage. According to the diagram, garage demo and tower construction are separate phases. I know the tower is set to break ground next summer - hopefully that means work on removing the garage starts sooner.

So if the tower goes u/c summer 19’ does that mean garage demo starts soon or summer 19’ counting as “the start of office construction”? The quicker the better cuz once its gone its gone.

One Congress is my favorite proposed building in Boston in the last ten or fifteen years...

My only wish would be that it top out well over 600'. No real shadow concerns, FAA should allow it (right?) and it has a beautiful crown, awesome address... just all around should be a skyline maker and an iconic building for Boston even when/if other skyscrapers fill in more of the skyline between government center and the garden.

One Congress is my favorite proposed building in Boston in the last ten or fifteen years...

My only wish would be that it top out well over 600'. No real shadow concerns, FAA should allow it (right?) and it has a beautiful crown, awesome address... just all around should be a skyline maker and an iconic building for Boston even when/if other skyscrapers fill in more of the skyline between government center and the garden.

It should be about 647' to the tip but I think the main roof is closer to 575'. It will be dominant for the area but I think would look even better at the current width if they added 4-5 more floors to make the proportions sleeker.

Hopefully more tall(er) buildings are able to be built in this area, including the parking lot across the street and some of the surrounding non-historical buildings, particularly that big brutalist one here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.363...4!1s3uMMrb2-G_JV-EQIgqSWIw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The triangle parcel literally right next door depending on if they can spot zone I would think would be a great spot once literally right across the street a 600+ footer goes up. Right now it would seem crazy but in 2 years it wont at all. That would help with density in the area and filling in the skyline gap.

Anyways can anybody confirm when the garage demo happens, a lot of people have been asking. The diagram shows that it happens before office tower construction starts as its a separate phase so if the office is slated for summer 19' wouldn't that mean this has to start soon?

I’d like to see a wholesale road diet of this area, which would allow for the conversion of the other “triangle” in front of the courthouse to be made into a small park. Instead of throwing away space with a median, run a mini greenway on the north side of Chardon that starts at Cambridge St, intersects with the new park, and continues to N Washington and also intersects with the (probable eventual) pedestrian mall at Canal.

The triangle parcel literally right next door depending on if they can spot zone I would think would be a great spot once literally right across the street a 600+ footer goes up. Right now it would seem crazy but in 2 years it wont at all. That would help with density in the area and filling in the skyline gap.

Anyways can anybody confirm when the garage demo happens, a lot of people have been asking. The diagram shows that it happens before office tower construction starts as its a separate phase so if the office is slated for summer 19' wouldn't that mean this has to start soon?

garage down (2A) has to be done prior to OCCUPANCY of the office (2B).
So construction of the office building can begin before the demolition of the garage begins, but the demolition has to be complete before occupancy.

CSTH:
Sorry if my last post regarding Merrimac/Congress came across snippy, that was not my intent. wrote it quickly without reviewing.

I will go out on a limb and say that this is the nicest building to go up in Boston for decades. It may not be the tallest, but it looks really special from the renders.

I will go out on a limb and say that this is the nicest building to go up in Boston for decades. It may not be the tallest, but it looks really special from the renders.

I would second this but not Burying the above parking garage makes me have doubts that the development will be perfection. The ground level might feel cold

The renderings do look amazing

It should be about 647' to the tip but I think the main roof is closer to 575'. It will be dominant for the area but I think would look even better at the current width if they added 4-5 more floors to make the proportions sleeker.

Hopefully more tall(er) buildings are able to be built in this area, including the parking lot across the street and some of the surrounding non-historical buildings, particularly that big brutalist one here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.363...4!1s3uMMrb2-G_JV-EQIgqSWIw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

5 more....or 20 more floors ... just added to elevate the base would look great. Still a great building as proposed, just sad that lesser buildings are going to be higher or even on the same level so that this could get lost in the skyline eventually.

Added 6 more renders to pg1 I forgot I had for anyone that wants to kno.

Also people wondering about the garage, its going to be gone at ground level. The only visible part will be the rear.

2017_04_05_HYM_One_Congress_Axon_View_Labels_small.jpg

Match this to the above image showing the front of the garage as condos/retail.

day_hero.jpg

And this to the side.

Government-Center-Garage-003.jpg

This render shows the only part of the garage that will be visible. The rear of the garage and to the left of the res tower will look like this. This small portion to the rear will be sandwiched between the office tower as well. This is all that will be left, there is a new ramp back here too to make up for the loss of the circular ramp where the office tower is going. To the right of the tower you can see above will be developed.

BulfinchCrossing.jpg

Last edited:

As excited as everyone is about the towers, I think I am actually even more excited about the smaller complex on the east side of Congress, that will replace the current Haymarket Station portion of the garage. The garage hulks so much that one wouldn’t ever realize that there’s actually an entire block there with room for multiple buildings - and I like the pedestrian ways and plazas between them that are also proposed.

As excited as everyone is about the towers, I think I am actually even more excited about the smaller complex on the east side of Congress, that will replace the current Haymarket Station portion of the garage. The garage hulks so much that one wouldn’t ever realize that there’s actually an entire block there with room for multiple buildings - and I like the pedestrian ways and plazas between them that are also proposed.

That's one of my favorite parts, too. It's so well planned how they currently have it that you'll be able to walk out of the Hub on Causeway entrance, look down Canal Street, and the Custom House Tower will be beautifully framed in the center. The ultimate "welcome to Boston" to a visitor getting off the CR.

I fear it will be lost/not built in this cycle given how long it took to get a tenant for One Congress. Maybe State Street will give them some steam, hopefully?

i'm not quite at this level but these final pieces really DO complete the project. ....That 3rd tower is no slouch at 28~29 stories and about 340'. The Greenway finally filling in. The parcel 1 Merrimack can be drafted for a step-up flatiron building. With the 5 resident towers going up (incl the Garden Garage), the Bullfinch Triangle infill, the triangle streets will become fully activated. Add the GLX.... Imagine leaving Boston just before the CAT construction began--and returning in 2024~25. Shocking really.

I would agree with this. It's all glass and will hold up very well down the line.

I'm in a similar boat. My one gripe is that the "Iconic Retail" seems like it'll alter what is otherwise a straight extension of Canal Street to the Boston Public Market. I'm not sure the alignment in the render makes as much sense. But it's not bad. And it does funnel people out to an already fairly well-activated area on the Greenway side of the BPM (which will be even more active as they're adding a section for local breweries along that facade) and a great Greenway parcel.

I'm in a similar boat. My one gripe is that the "Iconic Retail" seems like it'll alter what is otherwise a straight extension of Canal Street to the Boston Public Market. I'm not sure the alignment in the render makes as much sense. But it's not bad. And it does funnel people out to an already fairly well-activated area on the Greenway side of the BPM (which will be even more active as they're adding a section for local breweries along that facade) and a great Greenway parcel.

Good point, but, if they can activate the interior plaza/promenade enough it might even make the space better by being enclosed rather than exposed to the aggressively wide end of New Sudbury (which I think has been re-renamed Sudbury again), and the blank wall of the Boston Public Market Building.

Also, I hadn’t heard about those brewery plans - that’s great.

Good point, but, if they can activate the interior plaza/promenade enough it might even make the space better by being enclosed rather than exposed to the aggressively wide end of New Sudbury (which I think has been re-renamed Sudbury again), and the blank wall of the Boston Public Market Building.

Also, I hadn’t heard about those brewery plans - that’s great.

Yeah, that's why I'd hold out judgment. If you actually have an "iconic" retail spot acting as a bookend (and the Hub/Garden acting as the other), it may be better at activating the space than simply having it end at Sudbury.

Yeah, a taproom in that spot would be great (and all but ensure crowds after 5pm). Here's a link to the article. Also, didn't realize Hopsters closed and it seems like it was messy.

Back