State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

IMG_20210714_153313564_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210714_153322373_HDR.jpg

False. We haven't had blue skies in two months. No way you took those 3 days ago
I think we've gotten a bit of clear sky on each of the past few days. It's certainly pretty clear right now as I look out my window.

Amendment: I'm out in Bedford and it's been pure clouds out here since Saturday evening, and because of that I assumed Boston was the same way. Must remember that Boston gets a bit more sun than where I am.

Amendment: I'm out in Bedford and it's been pure clouds out here since Saturday evening, and because of that I assumed Boston was the same way. Must remember that Boston gets a bit more sun than where I am.

The old saying of "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute" could easily be modified to "if you don't like the weather, drive to the next town." I have seen more than 10 degree swings recently between North Shore to Metro West, on top of the massive snow differences, certain spots getting tornadoes, etc. I once literally drove through a snowstorm in Burlington/Lexington to a beautiful Spring-type day in Cambridge/Boston. People were walking around in shorts, while a few towns away a bunch of trees had fallen into the road and everything was covered in snow! Basically, I drove from one season to another in 20 minutes.

currently in smashville and the j.w. marriott tower is *very* similar to this one (if the proportions aren't exactly identical, it's damn near) -- just with a bulge at the top and w/o the pleats/fins.
153074728.jpg

currently in smashville and the j.w. marriott tower is *very* similar to this one (if the proportions aren't exactly identical, it's damn near) -- just with a bulge at the top and w/o the pleats/fins. View attachment 14872
Some major differences that I see: the lack of pleats is a big minus, as is the hokey balcony near the top and the swirly base at the bottom. Also the glass looks quite a bit darker overall.

Yes, yes, congrats on topping out, but the question on everyone's lips is, how many labs can it hold?

It would appear that the main part of the structure/framework is really around the same height as the Sudbury, with the thinner core section and the fins being the only difference in terms of height.

"Topped out" is such a misnomer in this city. It's at the top, except for the next couple of mech floors, and mech screen, and fins!!! It would be like a football player getting tackled at the 20 yard line and they call it a touchdown. Imagine climbing a mountain, and seeing a sign that you're at the summit when the mountain still clearly has a couple hundred feet to go? It just doesn't make any sense.

"Topped out" is such a misnomer in this city. It's at the top, except for the next couple of mech floors, and mech screen, and fins!!! It would be like a football player getting tackled at the 20 yard line and they call it a touchdown. Imagine climbing a mountain, and seeing a sign that you're at the summit when the mountain still clearly has a couple hundred feet to go? It just doesn't make any sense.

I know this is unrelated, but we hike a lot (working on the NH 48 4Kers right now) and a lot of mountains have summit markers and signs in locations that clearly aren't the actual highest point.

I think the "topping out" ceremony for construction is pretty standard anywhere and doesn't really signify that the building has reached its top structural height. Rather, it's a milestone for the crew marking the the installation of the top floor's final beam (or pour). There's obviously a lot of work left and height to be added with roof work, mech screens, etc. It's different crews that will do most of that work. It's pretty much in line with how any other big project that involves multiple teams is marked by multiple milestones. For example, a "wrap" for a movie shoot doesn't mean you have anything close to a finished or final product. There's a ton of post production work to do and potentially even some re-shoots of scenes. But it's still a major milestone that's celebrated by all of those involved.

Back