State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

I would go but it's 3:30 on a workday. I'd totally go on a Sunday.

Set the price to something that will give most of the rabble a small amount of pause and you keep the crowd mostly composed of enthusiasts and people interested for various reasons.
They should give young people (grade school and high school) a big discount., say a ticket price of $25. When I was that age i would've loved to go on a tour of a project like that. My dad used to take me out to highway projects when I was a kid because I was/am intensely interested in infrastructure and buildings. The $135 is discriminatory against poor people (whether Black, Brown or White). I was poor as a kid and can definitely relate to that. I think of the young people who would really be inspired by a tour like this. I thought Boston was supposed to be so liberal and enlightened. I guess not.

They should give young people (grade school and high school) a big discount., say a ticket price of $25. When I was that age i would've loved to go on a tour of a project like that. My dad used to take me out to highway projects when I was a kid because I was/am intensely interested in infrastructure and buildings. The $135 is discriminatory against poor people (whether Black, Brown or White). I was poor as a kid and can definitely relate to that. I think of the young people who would really be inspired by a tour like this. I thought Boston was supposed to be so liberal and enlightened. I guess not.

Schools can get tours of local projects for little to no 'direct' cost to the student. There was a fairly large student tour operation of the GLX going on until 2020, with students from all backgrounds and MA universities, and I think I recall seeing some students from Wentworth touring One Dalton a few years ago.

These projects/firms generally don't reach out to schools to tour large-scale projects like this, though. It's usually the school or an organization on behalf of the school reaching out and trying to get something started. Sometimes, its like pulling teeth to get something organized, other times, it's a lot of enthusiasm. Depends on the PM, team, firm, etc.

Not that an individual student discount isn't a bad idea. I agree with you. And if numbers are an issue, set a limit/first-come first-serve policy.

Schools can get tours of local projects for little to no 'direct' cost to the student. There was a fairly large student tour operation of the GLX going on until 2020, with students from all backgrounds and MA universities, and I think I recall seeing some students from Wentworth touring One Dalton a few years ago.

These projects/firms generally don't reach out to schools to tour large-scale projects like this, though. It's usually the school or an organization on behalf of the school reaching out and trying to get something started. Sometimes, its like pulling teeth to get something organized, other times, it's a lot of enthusiasm. Depends on the PM, team, firm, etc.

Not that an individual student discount isn't a bad idea. I agree with you. And if numbers are an issue, set a limit/first-come first-serve policy.
I appreciate the info you provided. I still have a problem with charging $135. It seems exclusionary and elitist. I'd rather see a lottery process with free admission for the winners. I realize this is a private project vs. a public one, but still I think the principle of equal access, regardless of wealth, applies.

This evening

51202826812_3143a23c24_b.jpg

51203545526_6a68332cd9_b.jpg

51204319219_701573fa4e_b.jpg

51203545461_e0f0d06be6_b.jpg

51203748888_870f8ffba9_b.jpg

51204319149_eee1d13397_b.jpg

51203748823_5b5f2e5b49_b.jpg

A
wasn't judging you or how you spend your money. i was merely surprised that the price was that high. i had followed the link you were kind enough to share and was excited to join the group, but was caught off guard by the price. that's all.
Agreed. Similar tours in NYC, NJ, CHI developments Ive seen (And been to) were ~Free-$50. I swear Boston is a place where they just make up numbers!

Hopefully you don't have too much May Gray, June Gloom. I miss living in PB. It's a great place to spend your 20's.

My girlfriend has never been to southern California and I had to explain to her multiple times that it isn’t going to be 90 and sunny the whole time, if ever. She had no idea what a marine layer was or that she’d have to pack even one pair of pants lol.

Nice!

I lived in La Jolla for a while. LJ is almost perfect. Finish work for the day, head to the center of town along Prospect and the restaurants overlooking the ocean on Girard - beer or a wine and watch the sunset. That June gloom is no joke, neither is the temperature change as you move inland. I had friends in La Mesa and El Cajon and it could be 75 by me in LJ, 85 in La Mesa and 95 in El Cajon at the same time.

Hopefully you don't have too much May Gray, June Gloom. I miss living in PB. It's a great place to spend your 20's.

Random question but are there city ordinances regarding those huge "Now Leasing" and similar signs? Do new buildings get a certain grace period to display these kinds of signs after a building first opens or can any developer just slap one on their building at any time? Seems like that sign on the Hub of Causeway building has been up for a very long time now. Maybe over a year?

I don't know the limits, but the (smaller and just as unattractive) banner at LoveJoy Wharf was up for > 2.0 yrs (and a piece of it, spanning two floors, for 2.5 yrs).

Random question but are there city ordinances regarding those huge "Now Leasing" and similar signs? Do new buildings get a certain grace period to display these kinds of signs after a building first opens or can any developer just slap one on their building at any time? Seems like that sign on the Hub of Causeway building has been up for a very long time now. Maybe over a year?

^You beat me to it.

These are apparently only 2 of the 3 "floating" cranes currently in the country. They have collars protruding from the core every few floors that hold the crane in place, freeing up the bottom levels to complete construction of the floor, slab, etc., when the crane lifts. It was apparently done as a cost-saving measure.

Back