Stillings Garage Expansion | 22 Boston Wharf Rd | Fort Point

Years from now, we will look back at this era and ask: "why all this silver-colored alucobond everywhere? Why all the random patches of it? What were we thinking doing so much of this?"

I agree this isn't hideous, but I must ask: why silver alucobond here? This, to me, especially in its location in historic fort point, asks: why not some terra-cotta-esque pre-cast or copper colored cladding? Or even just less of the silver / a bit more brick instead?

Derivative of this style:

41265197022_604002bd84_b.jpg

Years from now, we will look back at this era and ask: "why all this silver-colored alucobond everywhere? Why all the random patches of it? What were we thinking doing so much of this?"

I agree this isn't hideous, but I must ask: why silver alucobond here? This, to me, especially in its location in historic fort point, asks: why not some terra-cotta-esque pre-cast or copper colored cladding? Or even just less of the silver / a bit more brick instead?

Propose an alternative that has better value. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Terra Cotta = 5x the cost.
Copper = 3x the cost.
Copper colored alucobond. Ok but probably a small premium over the silver
Brick = .5x the cost but likely not possible in this application.
Fake brick = sure go for it.

cca

That's just bad architecture.

The sooner we can cycle-out of this seemingly-endless style, the better.

Disappointing the garage wasn't totally demolished, especially with how long construction took.

I would offer "bottom-linesque"

Not insinuating anyone should share my point of view. For me, all things considered, and despite its prime location, it's an acceptable upgrade. To anyone visiting the Seaport for the first time, it looks just like what it is. Someone came along trying to figure out how to forgo the wrecking ball, add utility to some old warehouse building by just adding a couple of floors.

Would i rather see this in Dorchester by 93? Sure. But, if i were to see something like this in Baltimore, Philly or LA, i'd say, 'ok.'

LA has a lot of old buildings like this that carry on.

Last edited:
It will help that, eventually, the view of the building won't be as prominent once the parking lot parcel across the street gets built up.

Back