SUPERCEDED MXD | Kendall Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found it!

58odM5j.jpg

One of the isolated sections of the esplanade that will be opened up by the new charlesgate greenway.

http://www.bethtreffeisen.com/single-post/2016/10/21/Charlesgate-Greenway-Gets-Funding-from-MassDOT-for-Inter-Park-Connection

Yes, I believe that's an old pump house dating back to the earliest days of the Esplanade...? Was sitting in traffic on the Bowker waiting to merge onto Storrow inbound when I took that.

Yes, I believe that's an old pump house dating back to the earliest days of the Esplanade...? Was sitting in traffic on the Bowker waiting to merge onto Storrow inbound when I took that.

I became incredibly curious about this building, dug around for some history.

"Fens Gatehouse
Built in 1909 at the connection between the Stony Brook and the Boston Marginal Conduits, this gatehouse is now land-locked by the widening of Esplanade in the 1950's."

http://www.theworld.com/~akane/fens.htm

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fens_Gate-house_-_Boston,_MA_-_DSC03092.JPG

You weren't too far off. It's kind of sad how run down and isolated it is.

Kind of sad, but it must still be doing its job to have lasted this long. I mean between Storrow Drive and the Bowker, that's two big chances the DCR had to wipe it off the map.

That’s the only place u can park and pee before getting on Storrow Drive lol 😂

The silence on this one is telling... last comments on it are back from mid-June. That glass is a snoozefest though by no means ugly, and the overall massing is way too fat for the protrusions to have any real impact. Oh and the north and west facades, which are quite visible from far off, are completely anonymous. By no means do I hate this one, but it doesn't come close to offering any of the drama seen in that one overly dramatic rendering.

Agreed I didnt even think about it that way but the silence is deafening. Theres no hate no love...nothing. This is weird because every building will get a response usually. You get the people who will absolutely hate something and let it be known, others will love something and let that be known, and some are just glad about adding another building. This gets nothing...Every time I click in here I look at it and think oh its further along...cool, anyways let me go check out something else. Im not really happy that its here and adding another building because it doesnt really add anything, but since its here Im not mad that it was built, Im completely indifferent. It just doesnt garner a response one way or another it just is. Its not terrible and its not great, its just a building that now exists that will be forgotten the day its completed. You would think a building thats trying this hard would go one way or another, but they managed to build a pretty busy and unique tower thats boring. Even upon further reflection now I still dont know what to say. Idk but the other tower next to it should be pretty cool.

Last edited:
Still in the Wasatch range. it's 11:30 pm. i can't see it in person, but i like the glass. In hindsight i think it's a well-enough shaped polygon with just that very attractive, sleek, tall vertical panel–that probably should have stopped there.

I'm not sure how much added space they're getting with the cantilevers. But it looks lousy. The future tenant/s will likely enjoy the terrace/outcroppings... but looking at it from the outside; the effort seems forced.

i kind of thought this from the renders. But thought i'd keep an open mind. i won't see this building often, and i have no idea how it will be received. But, i wish it had just stayed the nice polygon... possibly with 1 section possessing a straight wall pushing ~400~425'.

The silence on this one is telling... last comments on it are back from mid-June. That glass is a snoozefest though by no means ugly, and the overall massing is way too fat for the protrusions to have any real impact. Oh and the north and west facades, which are quite visible from far off, are completely anonymous. By no means do I hate this one, but it doesn't come close to offering any of the drama seen in that one overly dramatic rendering.

Snoozefest is better than our usual response at this stage. What I want to know is when the residential portion starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back