The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Re: Longfellow Place (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

I would imagine that last night's meeting was, um, animated.

edit ... BRA meeting is tomorrow night, 1/14

5:30 P.M: Request authorization to adopt a minor modification to the West End Land Assembly and Redevelopment Plan to allow for the Garden Garage Project within the West End Plan Area; to approve the Amended and Restated Development Plan for Planned Development Area No. 7; to petition the Zoning Commission for approval of the PDA Plan; to issue a Preliminary Adequacy Determination waiving further review pursuant to Article 80B, Section 80B-5.4(c)(iv) of the Boston Zoning Code for the construction of 470 residential units, 2,300 square feet of ground floor retail, located at 35 Lomasney Way with 17 on-site IDP units, 17 off-site IDP units and an IDP contribution; and, to take all related actions.

http://boston.siretechnologies.com/sirepubbra/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=292&doctype=AGENDA

Last edited:

The Amy Lowell House next door is in support: "The project is at its best iteration to date.".

West End Place, another abutter, is also pleased to support the project. The WEP Managing Board of Directors voted in favor to come to this conclusion.

Both of the direct abutters are in support of the project.

People who are speaking in support keep mentioning Post Office Square in re: to tearing down a garage and creating a park.

you can watch this live, it's on now. development team has been making their presentation

http://www.cityofboston.gov/cable/live.asp

Wow, first time I have ever seen one of these, thanks for posting it. I feel like I sat in on an actual meeting for a while. I turned it off once they ran out of people speaking in favor of this project.

The opposition is painful, but predictable. Also getting thunderous applause after every person in opposition speaks.

I did the same after I got the general idea of both sides of the argument. Some pretty good points on both sides, some bad also. I like to look at both sides of all arguments and I feel I have an understanding where both sides are coming from. That being said this was very interesting and I have also never seen one of these. Thank you for the link it is very much appreciated.

On a side note I believe if some of us would attend these we could bring a fresh perspective to these meetings outside of most what I just saw which was I work in the union so I hope this gets approved. There are quite a few people on this board who are very knowledgeable in urban design and I think these meetings could benefit from people who are truly passionate about the growth and development of this city for the future outside of temporary job creation.

Last edited:

When do they announce the approval? I want to see the disappointed look in the oppositions' faces.

When do they announce the approval? I want to see the disappointed look in the oppositions' faces.

It's going to be wild. Apparently the lobby is packed with opposition too.

Update: Are there any more people that want to speak in opposition? "Oh, yes, there's a lot." Gonna be a while.

Watching the "host" for lack of a better term botch every single name he has to read is pretty hilarious.

Weeeee intermission because the BRA still records meetings on F'ING TAPE. YES. TAPE. Can't believe they still use tape in 2016. (Actually I can)

Fucking hell.

THE PROJECT HAS BEEN TABLED BY A MOTION FROM THE CHAIR. THE PROJECT WAS NOT APPROVED TONIGHT.

The hearing lasted nearly 3 hours.

LAME LAME LAME. Get lives you worthless opposers.

This project is going nowhere. We should build a giant electrified wall around the west end. If they want to live in their own little fantasy world where major cities are composed of massive amounts of open space and zoning heights of 200 feet or less, let them have it.

I picked up on the live stream at the tail end. The board was frustrated over the team's lack of actual financial numbers and inability to drastically decrease the height of the tower. One of the board members even asked the development team how short the tower would have to be for them to make no profit, because "that's what they [the opposers] want"

Height was the repeating issue (no surprise), developer weakly argued that they can't decrease the height for financial reasons.

Overall just flat out ridiculous. Get over it!

I picked up on the live stream at the tail end. The board was frustrated over the team's lack of actual financial numbers and inability to drastically decrease the height of the tower. One of the board members even asked the development team how short the tower would have to be for them to make no profit, because "that's what they [the opposers] want"

Height was the repeating issue (no surprise), developer weakly argued that they can't decrease the height for financial reasons.

Overall just flat out ridiculous. Get over it!

The guy that asked how short would it have to be to make no profit was the 1 member that opposed the motion to table and wanted to approve it.

The other board members were harping on about looking at the massing and getting the same number of units on the site with shorter buildings which Manfredi FINALLY chimed in and rightly said "WE TRIED IT" with the 2 tower scheme that they freaked out over.

NIMBY: N-eedlessly I-nterfering M-indless B-uncha Y-ahoos

We have to start, as a group, attending these meetings and providing a counterpoint. I would love to have stood up during that meeting and said, "I love it. My only complaint is that it is too short. But, hey it's not my land and I thank you for not coming into my home and telling me where to put my furniture. I also want to thank you for trying to address the housing shortage in his city. The more units you build the better. I also celebrate your profitability as it is a reflection of the demand or people to move into and re-invigorate our city. You, sir, and the other developed that are making Boston an even better place are a god-send. As a tax paying resident of Boston, I strongly urge you to build this building. But, regardless of what I believe, I want to remind everyone here that the only person in this room doing anything to improve our city is the developer. And the only person in this room who owns the land in question is the developer. Those in glass houses should not be throwing stones. Thank you."

But really, where can we (I) find out about any and all BRA/other community meetings related to development. Because if there is one (or a few) places where these meetings are listed, I would be happy to lead an organization of folks who are pro-development on this board and want to attend and have our voices heard.

But really, where can we (I) find out about any and all BRA/other community meetings related to development. Because if there is one (or a few) places where these meetings are listed, I would be happy to lead an organization of folks who are pro-development on this board and want to attend and have our voices heard.

Try signing up for BRA e-mails on the BRA website here. You can also follow the BRA on twitter where they announce all public meetings, as well as provide other news and information.

The guy that asked how short would it have to be to make no profit was the 1 member that opposed the motion to table and wanted to approve it.

The other board members were harping on about looking at the massing and getting the same number of units on the site with shorter buildings which Manfredi FINALLY chimed in and rightly said "WE TRIED IT" with the 2 tower scheme that they freaked out over.

From time to time, I quote Agnes Skinner on cases like this...

"I want it all in one bag, but I don't want it to be heavy."

This will get approved at the next meeting.

Back