The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Re: Garden Garage Towers (New West End building)

?All my plants will die,?

News for you, lady: by the time this is even approved, all your plants will already be dead.

But by all means, let's reconsider the regional economic, environmental, and planning benefits of this development in light of your future kitchen plants.

more traffic on the already-congested Martha Way. She said that she and her husband, Clifford, sometimes have trouble navigating the crowded streets.

There is zero pedestrian traffic on this street. It's a hostile wasteland for walking, because it's so dominated by cars, because of the terrible garage.

The current plan ?is worse than anything,?

Needs to get out, read a book, speak to another human being, get any perspective on life in general.

Maybe this woman should focus more on taking care of her plants and less on what will happen to her plants...

....or get one of them singing plants with the sun glasses...There...everyone wins!

Really, what kind of plants does she have? Even if there is shadows, most plants are resilient enough that it won't die from a decrease in sunlight.

Also, really. One person and her fucking grandmommy plant is a legitimate reason to bring up in a meeting to block a project. The audacity to use such a trivial reason is so infuriating. I would like to go up to her one day and tell her that her breathing MY AIR is killing me so gtfo.

I really doubt this project will need it, but you can always send an email in support.

The public comment period about the project has been extended to March 11, 2011. To comment about the project, residents can contact BRA Senior Project Manager Jay Rourke at jay.rourke.bra@cityofboston.gov.

Really, what kind of plants does she have? Even if there is shadows, most plants are resilient enough that it won't die from a decrease in sunlight.

Lots of plants need full sun and will suffer w/o it. That's why you dig that shit up and plant stuff that likes partial sun or very little. That's how you grow a garden, it's part of the challenge this bitch is just lazy and looking for excuses which ruins her credibility.

Stop talking about the plants!

Unless the plants are worth more than $300 mil...

That is something to consider. Maybe her plant is evil and threatened to kill her if she didn't preserve its sunlight.

Who knows, these plants could be poppies or marijuana.

I used to live in both Whittier and Longfellow Place. This won't block the sun (or views most likely) for someone at 8 Whittier Place. I think its a good proposal - that part of CRP is most in need of more foot traffic and vitality.

I agree with the above. If built per those renderings, this would be great, and 100 times better than any of the other urban renewal "towers" in the "west end". This area is really sad to look at on google maps. If you had twice as many high rises in this area, it would still be too few. This and the Harbor Towers accomplish what shouldn't be able to be accomplished. They take ugly, utilitarian, residential towers, and make them into suburban neighborhoods. Congrats on that anyways.
to.

<edit> BTW - Sorry for reopening a thread that's been idle without posting any real news. I know that's frowned upon... but I've been away and am just seeing this.</edit>

You are absolutely right about the google map thing. We know they'll never redo the street layout within their little enclave. But something that should be done (and just as likely won't) is to fill the gaps. The parking lots adjacent to Jpace could house 1-2 slim towers helping with the density, or lack thereof. The existing parking lots could be located in a garage under the building. In addition, something should be built on the parking lots at the corner of Martha & Charles. But again, that will undoubtedly ruin someone's view. If people are already bitching about this proposal and their damn plants, then a scenario like that doesn't stand a chance.

Here's what I don't understand/makes me insane.
1) The West End used to be a dense, close-knit neighborhood before Urban renewal destroyed it. So to fix the problem created by Hynes, this is what they build? WTF? Why wouldn't they try to recreate what they lost and create a real neighborhood with density and vibrancy?
2)Why don't these people realize that it's supposed to be a neighborhood that is PART OF the city.
3) NSR is going to be taller than either of these buildings and effectively block their precious views anyway. So why not concede the point and do something positive for the community as a whole you selfish *bleeps*! They don't own the land. They have no right to the views.
3) If the damn people don't want someone building something that will obstruct their view - GTFO of the city! The city was here first and will be here long after you are gone. Go buy some land where you can guarantee the view from your bedroom won't change and your tomato plants won't wither due to lack of sunlight.
FCOFL!

Last edited:

New apartment development coming to Boston

BOSTON -- A new construction project near North Station will become Boston’s first major apartment development since 2007.

The new complex, called ‘The Victor’, will feature nearly 300 apartments and a number of street level stores and restaurants on what is currently an empty lot along the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

Construction is expected to be done by 2013.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43983432/ns/local_news-boston_ma/

Apartment, retail complex planned near TD Garden

300h.jpg

By Casey Ross
Globe Staff / August 2, 2011

A Colorado developer will start construction next week on an 11-story apartment and retail complex across from the TD Garden, becoming the first homebuilder to resume work in the neighborhood following the recession.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/08/02/apartment_retail_complex_planned_near_td_garden/

Apartment, retail complex planned near TD Garden

300h.jpg

By Casey Ross
Globe Staff / August 2, 2011

A Colorado developer will start construction next week on an 11-story apartment and retail complex across from the TD Garden, becoming the first homebuilder to resume work in the neighborhood following the recession.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/08/02/apartment_retail_complex_planned_near_td_garden/
That is the Victor. We are already discussing it in the Bulfinch Triangle thread.

They do mention the Garden Garage Towers in that article, though, so worth keeping here.

Back