The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

It's a TERRIBLE promotional pic. Did they use a view from 2012?????? Many prominent buildings that exist today (the two Hub towers) are missing or are completely different looking (Avalon).

They could have simply done a render of the Alcott in downtown anywhere.

I don’t think it’s new. Pretty sure that rendering dates back to some of the earlier BPDA filings.

Peeking through from the top of Staniford St today
E772E77F-09EC-4C9A-B19C-936F22B04963.jpeg

Yea its movin on uppp.. movin on up... in the west endd.. movin on up.. they finally got a piece of the pie ieee

You know how much them CR-V drivers love their off-roadin'!

I have a friend who is working on this and we talked today. Apparently they’re moving at a blistering pace on all fronts. Three items of note:

1) they anticipate an August 2020 topping off.
2) they already have crews inside doing some of the interior work that often comes quite a bit later.
3) Work on the skin begins tomorrow (2/27), though I’m not sure how long it will be until we see that scaling the side of this.

Its smart, the faster you get it done the less time youre spending money on construction and the quicker youre making money and return on investment. Youd think more devs would go as fast as possible for these reasons.

Its smart, the faster you get it done the less time youre spending money on construction and the quicker youre making money and return on investment. Youd think more devs would go as fast as possible for these reasons.

It makes sense to my layperson's brain, but I guess it's a bit of a struggle. There's no elevator on site yet, so materials for all projects have to be hoisted by crane which is an issue, especially with multiple teams that have different priorities. Some of the interior work that people are on site for can't actually be completed until the exterior walls are in place so they're being paid to do nothing. Some of the finishings (doors, counter tops, flooring, etc.) is ready to be delivered but nobody wants it because there's nowhere to store the stuff for the 6+ months until it's needed and accepting delivery also means accepting responsibility if it gets damaged while being stored for 6+ months. So it sounds like there's an art to doing this the right way and they may have jumped the gun a bit.

In the last photo at bottom left that load-bearing column arrangement where it switches to diagonal poles, well that doesn't look so reassuring, especially where the 2 wider slabs are supported by a much thinner pole

In the last photo at bottom left that load-bearing column arrangement where it switches to diagonal poles, well that doesn't look so reassuring, especially where the 2 wider slabs are supported by a much thinner pole

I had the same reaction. I'm sure, architecturally, its fine. It just looks so damn rickety to the casual observer.

Brad -- I'm sure that the computer doing the "finite element" mechanical analysis has given its vote of confidence to the complete configuration.
That's the modern way -- the integrated reinforced concrete structure is composed of many individual elements each optimized in a way which ordinary 2x style of construction with standard sized steel or wood pieces doesn't.

Consider one of the paradigms the The Ray and Maria Stata Center aka Building 32, 720,000-square-foot (67,000 m2) designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Frank Gehry & home of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Center at MIT
shell1-lg.jpg

MIT%27s_Stata_Center.jpg

the butt of the famous joke --- What building on the MIT Campus is designed to withstand a 7.7 Magnitude Earthquake -- but looks as though it hasn't

Told to Frank Gehry on a tour some number of years after the building was completed -- it elicited a mild laugh :cool:

Back