"The Beat" | 135 Morrissey (Boston Globe Site) | Dorchester

Re: Globe Site

All eyes on pending sale of Boston Globe property

“I believe that whoever buys the property will have to recognize that what they do will set the stage for additional development along Morrissey Boulevard,” wrote Walsh. “A narrow focus on the Globe site itself is a mistake; the sale could be the catalyst for a terrific new Morrissey Boulevard neighborhood, a boon to the city and its local neighbors. Or, it could be a missed opportunity.”

http://www.dotnews.com/2014/all-eyes-pending-sale-boston-globe-property

Maybe it will be redeveloped as an olympic team handball facility!
/asshole

It's a missed opportunity if MassDOT doesn't team up to start the long-overdue taming of Morrissey Blvd. timed with the Globe redev. That would be a golden opportunity to raze the "WTF, MDC?!?!?" Old Colony Ave. interchange for a much-simplified rotary.

I'm currently working on a 400k sf multi tenant project with them in down town new haven. So not just office park buildings.

Do we know where the majority of the Globe would move? They're looking to rent, right? With prices down, maybe they'd move back to Downtown Crossing.

Picture from the BRA's Columbia Point Master Plan:
b53a3f52-1ab3-4ff6-a3ca-90f1f284da2d

Sale is close to Winstanley Enterprises, out of Concord. Looks like they do mostly individual office park buildings.

http://www.boston.com/business/news...er-building/YLxWOshTwsXHkwXOlDqjuN/story.html

http://www.winent.com/

Article also says move is late 2016/early 2017, so the new headquarters site shouldn't be too much longer. The letter quoted in the article says "sites," so that suggests new construction.

blech,

I hope I'm wrong but I don't hold any hope of anything great coming from them based on what is on their website. With all of the great developers this city has, they seem to be 20-30 years in the past...

I'm currently working on a 400k sf multi tenant project with them in down town new haven. So not just office park buildings.

Which one are you talking about? Is it the Chapel and Howe or the Crown and College project? I live in New Haven and am glad that construction activity and revitalization have picked up significantly.

Any chance of height here? I should probably answer that my self as no. But would seaport level height be possible?

that master plan's just great

conforms to the geography of the place

increasing/decreasing height as you get closer/further from jfk

nice strong grid that doesn't look like its autodominated

"enclosure" of the open space rather than just open space for open spaces sake....think college quad vs. greenway moonspace

even that tiny little connection with the OTB section of savin hill where it withers away to combine with the other neighborhood

lets just hope it gets built like this

Which one are you talking about? Is it the Chapel and Howe or the Crown and College project? I live in New Haven and am glad that construction activity and revitalization have picked up significantly.

100 College St. Basically right next to Yale School of Medicine and the Power Plant. And the 3 nasty garages.

Any chance of height here? I should probably answer that my self as no. But would seaport level height be possible?

First look at it and I said to myself 'self, this would be just dandy if it's all 5-10 storeys'. Doesn't really need to be anything more than that.

My guess is we're looking at things more or less in line with existing UMass Boston, JFK Library, and Expo Center heights. Maybe a bit taller.

^the heights approved in the master plan were at most 17 stories, which were the ones closest to the station, and got shorter as it moved further from the station. Though the most recent proposal I saw for the residential building right next to the station was only about 5 stories high if i remember correctly.

According to BBJ, the Globe's three finalists are:

- BCBS's space at the Landmark Center (which would jack that one up Samuels' priority list)
- Parters' space at the Schrafft Center in Sullivan Square, and
- The U/C business park at the old Hood plant, also in Sullivan Square.

The BBJ points out the obvious proximity of Landmark to Fenway, but this is the first time I've seen Sullivan Square identified by a big office tenant as a growth area. That's encouraging for the renewal effort there.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...be-narrows-headquarters-search-to-fenway.html

Boston Globe CEO blasts report on HQ sites

Saturday, November 15, 2014
By: Owen Boss

The Boston Globe’s chief executive is slamming what he claims is an “erroneous and irresponsible” report that suggests the broadsheet has narrowed its search for a new corporate headquarters to three locations in Charlestown and the Fenway.

“It’s very premature and it is erroneous and irresponsible,” Globe CEO Mike Sheehan told the Herald last night. “If you work at the Globe and you read that, it could mean a big change in your life ... Most of it is just grossly incorrect.”

The report published online yesterday, which cited local real estate sources, said the Globe is looking at two possible sites in Charlestown and a third in the Fenway as it prepares to sell and move out of its Morrissey Boulevard headquarters.

“We have issued RFPs to 25 different properties all across Boston, but concentrated in the Seaport, the Financial District, Back Bay, Fenway, and North Station,” Sheehan said in a memo sent to employees yesterday.

“We are currently in receipt of 15 proposals, with more to come. We have not even begun the process of evaluating the proposals or identifying the particular neighborhood or location.”

The Globe earlier this month said it was still completing a purchase-and-sale agreement with Winstanley Enterprises, a Concord real estate firm, which has plans for mixed uses on the company’s 16.5-acre site in Dorchester.

Sheehan has said the Globe is likely to move out of its 815,000-square-foot building at the end of 2016 or the beginning of 2017.

Boston Herald

Translation: We were waiting to announce the finalists in our own paper and we're pissed someone tipped off BBJ.

Back