"The Beat" | 135 Morrissey (Boston Globe Site) | Dorchester

Unimaginative.

My user name?! It is unimaginative, I'll give you that. It's just my name and zip code. As for The Beat, I love it, but I'm partial because I know who named it and why.

Maybe it's generational, but to me, it's names like 'Boston Landing' or 'Cambridge Crossing' that are truly and completely 'unimaginative'.

I was referring to the PNF/project overall. Not the name. A site this prominent and walkable to the T should be a fender redevelopment, not an adaptive reuse of a bygone building that retains WAY too much surface parking (I.e. any surface parking). It’s as if the developers completely ignored the master plan vision for Columbia Point/South Boston when putting their proposal together. It’s a squandered opportunity that undermines the potential/vision for the neighborhood.

Every parcel has its 'time.' This will likely turn out to be the best outcome for the site in the short term. Maybe in the next few years, we see a great project with a high % of affordable units. Maybe we dodged a bullet. Maybe call this a win.

For some reason this just isn’t exciting...especially compared to the ink block.

For some reason this just isn’t exciting...especially compared to the ink block.

Doing anything exciting there ended when they uncovered the environmental problems. I mean the land was the whole reason John Henry bought the Globe in the first place... if not for that someone would have done something big there.

I actually think this is a pretty cool project. It deals with a very difficult site: polluted and with a way overstructured building that would probably cost a fortune to get rid of, and figures out how to make those assets work for a business type that is growing in our area. The changes to the building are making it more open and interesting. It's a great site for public transit so hopefully the Morrissey Boulevard improvements will include some real sidewalks.

It's not as sexy as a new tower, but it's a great idea for reuse and one that seems to have natural synergies with UMass Boston, Boston College High School, and the neighborhood.

Well said...factoring in the site issues makes me understand this better. I wonder what would happened if these newspapers didn’t have assets to sell in order to stay afloat.

Website (with many new renderings) is live - project was showcased on the NAIOP bus tour.

www.thebeatboston.com

Second_Exterior_PostProduction_06.jpg

Third_exterior_Postproduction_aerial_03.jpg

Third_exterior_Postproduction_ground_03.jpg

generic_interior.jpg

c1_wire_stars.jpg

FoodHall_interior_02.jpg

Fitness_02.jpg

second_interior_postproduction2.jpg

Globe-Render_Reduced.jpg

the Globe was an institution w/ Tip O'Neill Democrats before it.....

To see it reduced to a "superfund" strip mall is rather bittersweet.

Btw, this render reminds me of a place in Fargo, ND called the Hub where they put like 8 clubs under 1 roof so people don't have to freeze to death in the winter waiting in a bar line....

http://www.inforum.com/lifestyles/food/3028495-vegas-style-partying-under-one-roof-hub

Anyone been there? :) i was there on a cool September night a few years ago..... and there were Northern Lights reported.... but, unfortunately i didn't see them.

The roads here are HORRIBLE. How the hell do they expect to do any of this. Your stuck going one direction on Morrissey for very long stretches, its basically a highway, the rotary is a mess, how are people supposed to get around here? Its already a catastrophe as is I cant imagine this. They need a huge overhaul of the roads just for whats there now to work, let alone all this. Ive been stuck in traffic for 30 minutes here before trying to get around that wrap around under the bridge that leads to the right that goes to the rotary. Just look at the image with the rotary and all the roads and follow the roads around and see how much of a disaster it is. If they build all this it would keep me even more away than I try to be now because of how much of a clusterf*** it will be. Getting across from the train station is no picnic either.

The roads here are HORRIBLE. How the hell do they expect to do any of this. Your stuck going one direction on Morrissey for very long stretches, its basically a highway, the rotary is a mess, how are people supposed to get around here? Its already a catastrophe as is I cant imagine this. They need a huge overhaul of the roads just for whats there now to work, let alone all this. Ive been stuck in traffic for 30 minutes here before trying to get around that wrap around under the bridge that leads to the right that goes to the rotary. Just look at the image with the rotary and all the roads and follow the roads around and see how much of a disaster it is. If they build all this it would keep me even more away than I try to be now because of how much of a clusterf*** it will be. Getting across from the train station is no picnic either.

Hey hey, it's gonna be alright. I highly doubt it will see the kind of usage shown in the renders. Your reaction is a bit Rifleman with the traffic rant here.

Hey hey, it's gonna be alright. I highly doubt it will see the kind of usage shown in the renders. Your reaction is a bit Rifleman with the traffic rant here.

So much so that you almost out yourself as an alternative ego in some weird way.
From ultimate cheerleader to spot on riflespeak when the carmageddon is in your hood.

The globe employed a lot of people once upon a time. This area survived then.

The rotary has always been a disaster. That's why I always made sure to time it right if going this way. Stay away at the wrong times or sit in line.

Last edited:
From Ministry of Propaganda to an innovation and idea factory, very good.

When this project was announced, my first thought was that a Porsche/ Audi/ Aston Martin/ Ferrari/ Lambo/ Jag/ Tesla/ Lexus

Mega-dealer could work here.... Or even a lower end type of auto cluster.

Probably, bad taste to think it but.... i woulda been like, 'Yeah/ done!'

i thought/ think it's the perfect site for a mega upscale car dealer/ repair shop.

seems all that stuff is wayyy too far out from the core.

Back