"The Beat" | 135 Morrissey (Boston Globe Site) | Dorchester

Re: Boston Globe Site Redevelopment | Dorchester

Here's some snippets from the Columbia Point Master Plan showing development patterns and heights on the Globe parcel.

KZroE1c.jpg

2fSSMHN.jpg

http://bslanow.org/wp-content/uploads/Columbia-Point-Master-Plan-Final-June-2011.pdf

Having a plan for traffic / parking / transportation would probably go a long way to assuaging Savin Hill neighbors' fears. They're doing a Morrissey Boulevard plan right now but as far as I know (and, apparently I know very little), that plan doesn't even include a Globe parcel build-out.

Not that the city cares, but I find those heights from the 2011 plan to be appropriate.

Steps up well from the insular neighborhood towards the city and the Columbia station.

Globe: Developer plans tech space for former Globe site in Dorchester

Boston Globe said:
The company that is buying the former Boston Globe headquarters said Friday it plans to turn the 16-acre Dorchester site into a light industrial and office complex.

Nordblom Development Co. filed a brief description of its plans with the Boston Planning & Development Agency, kicking off a review process that will likely last several months. The Burlington-based company has recently begun meeting with neighborhood groups in Savin Hill and Columbia Point, sharing its intent to convert most of the existing 723,000 square-foot building to tech- and life sciences-oriented commercial space, along with restaurants and perhaps a craft brewery.

[...]

Ugh.

From the articles it appears the project will involve renovation of the current Globe building rather than significant new construction. Thoughts?

From the articles it appears the project will involve renovation of the current Globe building rather than significant new construction. Thoughts?

Probably due to the massive environmental issue here. Renovating the existing building is significantly less expensive considering most of the contaminants here are underground. The less dirt you move the less expensive it is.

Deal is closed
Katheleen Conti said:
The site of the former Boston Globe headquarters on Morrissey Boulevard in Dorchester officially sold Wednesday for an undisclosed amount to a partnership formed by Burlington-based developer Nordblom Co. and Boston private equity firm Alcion Ventures.

Nordblom said it plans to convert the 16.5-acre site into a light industrial and office complex focused on technology and life sciences, along with restaurants, retail, and possibly a craft brewery.

[...]
Nordblom_21morrisey02_met.jpg

So lame...

A craft brewery. Just in time for the craft brewery industry bubble to burst.

A craft brewery. Just in time for the craft brewery industry bubble to burst.

Not very likely at least in the next 5 years. If you haven't noticed, most of these breweries are doing extremely good business even as more and more continue to open by the month. I believe Lord Hobo is the fastest growing brewer in the country. Or one of them. There are a lot of people around these parts that like beer but don't want Bud, Miller or even Sam's. And then you have the untapped (pardon the pun) market of people who think all craft beer is 9% double IPA hop bombs.

Not very likely at least in the next 5 years. If you haven't noticed, most of these breweries are doing extremely good business even as more and more continue to open by the month. I believe Lord Hobo is the fastest growing brewer in the country. Or one of them. There are a lot of people around these parts that like beer but don't want Bud, Miller or even Sam's. And then you have the untapped (pardon the pun) market of people who think all craft beer is 9% double IPA hop bombs.

Right, a "bubble" is a sharp speculative rise in asset values that is not supported by underlying market fundamentals. Think: people buying "dot com" stocks just because everyone else is doing it, ignoring the fact that those "dot com" companies had largely non-existent business models.

There's no way we're in a craft beer "bubble." Those companies are largely doing really well: they make beer, they sell beer, and people love it; the taprooms are packed every weekend. Their growth is fueled by their fundamental market performance, not by speculative "animal spirits" divorced from it.

Will their popularity persist? Maybe not. But that's a "fad," not a "bubble." These are different concepts. A "fad" ends when demand for a a product goes away; this can cause the associated capitalized asset value to suffer. A "bubble" "bursts" when a speculatively inflated asset loses popularity (and thus, value) without any relationship to the demand for its underlying product.

[/end rant]

Right, a "bubble" is a sharp speculative rise in asset values that is not supported by underlying market fundamentals. Think: people buying "dot com" stocks just because everyone else is doing it, ignoring the fact that those "dot com" companies had largely non-existent business models.

There's no way we're in a craft beer "bubble." Those companies are largely doing really well: they make beer, they sell beer, and people love it; the taprooms are packed every weekend. Their growth is fueled by their fundamental market performance, not by speculative "animal spirits" divorced from it.

Will their popularity persist? Maybe not. But that's a "fad," not a "bubble." These are different concepts. A "fad" ends when demand for a a product goes away; this can cause the associated capitalized asset value to suffer. A "bubble" "bursts" when a speculatively inflated asset loses popularity (and thus, value) without any relationship to the demand for its underlying product.

[/end rant]

Yes. I also consider microbreweries and taprooms to be a little different than the typical food/beverage fad (think Froyo, or the Cupcake craze). Beer isn't a new product. Craft beer is just an improvement over the status quo in the U.S., something that's been going on for centuries in places like Belgium and Germany. Moreover, most of these taprooms are also restaurants. We can call them taprooms and craft breweries, but they're taverns and pubs with house brews which is neither a new or novel concept. We'll absolutely hit an equilibrium with this trend, but I don't see the value suffering in the same way other food/dining fads have.

PNF:

http://www.bostonplans.org/document...ilings/135-morrissey-boulevard-pnf-2018-01-30

Mod, please change the thread name to 135 Morrissey (Boston Globe Site) | Dorchester

This is a conservative redevelopment plan. No significant additions, just re-use of the existing structure.

It probably makes a lot of sense financially. Activate the space for the next decade or more, and land-bank the possibility of building something larger and transit-oriented for later, when development pushes further out.

Re: 135 Morrissey (Boston Globe Site) | Dorchester

While the moderator is at it, they should rename the thread "The Beat" since that's the name in the PNF and in the renderings - a nod to the newspaper's history and the energy being breathed into the new complex.

As you can tell from my user name, I practically lived in this building's backyard, I'm excited!

Unimaginative.

My user name?! It is unimaginative, I'll give you that. It's just my name and zip code. As for The Beat, I love it, but I'm partial because I know who named it and why.

Maybe it's generational, but to me, it's names like 'Boston Landing' or 'Cambridge Crossing' that are truly and completely 'unimaginative'.

My user name?! It is unimaginative, I'll give you that. It's just my name and zip code. As for The Beat, I love it, but I'm partial because I know who named it and why.

Maybe it's generational, but to me, it's names like 'Boston Landing' or 'Cambridge Crossing' that are truly and completely 'unimaginative'.

I think they should have named Cambridge Crossing Tri-City Square or something like that. I guess Cambridge Crossing makes sense cause it's on former railroad yards.

Ink Block = Herald
Assembly Square = Ford plant.

While the moderator is at it, they should rename the thread "The Beat" since that's the name in the PNF and in the renderings - a nod to the newspaper's history and the energy being breathed into the new complex.

As you can tell from my user name, I practically lived in this building's backyard, I'm excited!

I'm guessing "The Rag", "Fish Wrapper" and "Parrot Cage Liner" weren't on the shortlist.

Back