The Benjamin & VIA (née One Seaport Square) | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Re: One Seaport Square | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

The balconies on the left side building appear done as is, but I think it would have looked more "finished" had they been painted a shade of blue to better match the rest of this side of the building. Those are pretty darn spacious balconies nonetheless.

This is the photo one should pull out if someone argues that Seaport is anti-urban. There is everything right happening in the picture. A diversity of scales and uses, active edges and open spaces. Too bad this is likely a coming together of all the good things in one spot instead of the whole area feeling like this.

cca

S1GFoxd.jpg

This is the photo one should pull out if someone argues that Seaport is anti-urban. There is everything right happening in the picture. A diversity of scales and uses, active edges and open spaces. Too bad this is likely a coming together of all the good things in one spot instead of the whole area feeling like this.

cca

Just curious, not long ago, you called One Seaport Square, in response to Van's comment that he honestly couldn't tell these buildings apart......

SimCity: Seaport Edition.

cca

Yet now, it seems you're opinion of Seaport Square has taken a remarkable turn. In all seriousness,what has changed today from a few weeks back, to cause you to take such a different position? Unless the SimCity was a compliment when referring to the project.

Just curious, not long ago, you called One Seaport Square, in response to Van's comment that he honestly couldn't tell these buildings apart......

cca

Yet now, it seems you're opinion of Seaport Square has taken a remarkable turn. In all seriousness,what has changed today from a few weeks back, to cause you to take such a different position? Unless the SimCity was a compliment when referring to the project.

Just because a place has great urban presence/context doesn't mean the buildings in it are aesthetically appealing designs. Having played SimCity (4 Deluxe... semantics), I understand the comment that the buildings all looks similar--glass boxes are the inference in this case.

But cca's comment about the photo is 100% spot on. It's like a Jane Jacobs wet dream amalgamation of good planning. Multiple uses, ground floor retail, mix of old and new buildings (not all in the photo, but we know older Fort Point buildings are next door), cultural destinations, green space... it works. And it's going to work even better when Martin's Park completes.

I would counter that I think other parts of the Seaport are shaping into this type of experience as well... it's just hard to see because most of it is still an active construction site.

Good amount of trees in that pic as well. More to come too.

cca

Has it? Because this one picture has the elements of good urbanism does not mean that the architecture that makes is edges is worth of being called good design. I understand that buildings make the most visible part of what we call the urban environment, but many other things play into that formula (as stated in my post).

The irony is that I still think that the most thoughtful piece of building design in the seaport might be one of the least urban (but not the least). That would be 101 Seaport.

Anyhow ... I am happy to be challenged on my comments. Thanks for the post.

cca

Just because a place has great urban presence/context doesn't mean the buildings in it are aesthetically appealing designs. Having played SimCity (4 Deluxe... semantics), I understand the comment that the buildings all looks similar--glass boxes are the inference in this case.

But cca's comment about the photo is 100% spot on. It's like a Jane Jacobs wet dream amalgamation of good planning. Multiple uses, ground floor retail, mix of old and new buildings (not all in the photo, but we know older Fort Point buildings are next door), cultural destinations, green space... it works. And it's going to work even better when Martin's Park completes.

I would counter that I think other parts of the Seaport are shaping into this type of experience as well... it's just hard to see because most of it is still an active construction site.

Walking through the area pictured recently, I was really surprised at how important the Our Lady of Good Voyage Chapel is to the feel of the urban environment. It really breaks the pattern (glass boxes) there in a very nice way.

Walking through the area pictured recently, I was really surprised at how important the Our Lady of Good Voyage Chapel is to the feel of the urban environment. It really breaks the pattern (glass boxes) there in a very nice way.

Absolutely. A change of scale, use, public space accessibility makes the things that make cities wonderful.

cca

^ And the church has that full-length built in bench on the seaport blvd sidewalk, which is really nicely done

I really like this development, especially how dense it feels.
3DY6cAM.jpg

People began moving into at least on of these buildings this week.

Can the thread title be amended to The Benjamin & VIA please?

Yup. Move-ins at VIA have started, with Benjamin to follow during the summer, according to Bldup. From the same update with regards to retail:

"250,000 square feet of exclusive retail will be located at The Benjamin & VIA across both buildings’ first three stories. At The Benjamin will be fitness and lifestyle leader Equinox, Mexican tequila cantina rock bar Scorpion Bar & Restaurant and destination nightclub The Grand. At VIA will be bowling experience center Kings Bowl, chic restaurant and full bar Lobby Lounge, artisan Italian restaurant and marketplace Tuscan Italian Kitchen & Market, movie theater Showplace ICON Theatre and high-energy steakhouse STK®. Retail occupancy will commence from Late Summer through Fall 2017."

Thats a pretty good lineup for the general public. Movie theater and bowling alley for recreational fun for the families/couples. A gym for everybody and it would make sense to be equinox seeing how high rent is and also how expensive the space is that the gym is going. A Marketplace, and multiple different tiered restaurants/food establishments. That gives a pretty wide range of things to do here. The location is literally right across the channel from South Station too so its not like the buildings farther down seaport blvd that end up being pretty far. This is actually pretty easy to get to for the red line/South station and on a nice day you can get to every line. This is definitely going to be a success.

They really should have lined up the memorial and the waterfront park with the corridor going between 121 and 101 seaport and seaport square from Seaport Blvd to Summer st. That would have allowed a great sight line of the ocean deep into the district but either way still a pretty good plan overall.

Looking at this picture it still is a pretty good sight line so its not like theres nothing. Just would have been better with the memorial and park lined up, but still looks fine.

C4Jyc7XW8AMGlfj.jpg

I think you have that backwards. Building 1 closest to Envoy, is the Benjamin. That is open and taking move ins. Building 2, closest to Gather, is the Via and that is not complete yet.

I think you have that backwards. Building 1 closest to Envoy, is the Benjamin. That is open and taking move ins. Building 2, closest to Gather, is the Via and that is not complete yet.

Could very well be. I was just going by the info on Bldup.

Could very well be. I was just going by the info on Bldup.

Bldup clearly says that it's the Benjamin that people are moving into, not VIA as you said.

The Benjamin in Seaport District welcomes first residents, retail openings at Benjamin & VIA expected by Fall

The Benjamin, a new 354-unit apartment community in the Seaport District, is now open and welcomed its’ first residents earlier this month. The first move-ins at VIA, The Benjamin’s 478-unit sister building, will take place this Summer.

I saw on their website than Bonobos and Banana Republic were some of the tenants listed

Bldup clearly says that it's the Benjamin that people are moving into, not VIA as you said.

Meh, maybe they corrected the post then.

Either way.. honestly a relatively minor detail in the grand scheme of things. The place is open, it's getting filled in now and through the Summer, and retail is being built out and starting to come on-line in the Fall. All the while, finishing touches are made to the exterior and surrounding areas. Those are the important points.

Back