The Benjamin & VIA (née One Seaport Square) | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Re: One Seaport Square | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

31998208632_82ee06d91f_b.jpg

This hurts my brain.

^ Yes, there is a lot going on there, and not in a good way! It feels like it should include a plaque "Inspired by M. C. Escher"

^ Yes, there is a lot going on there, and not in a good way! It feels like it should include a plaque "Inspired by M. C. Escher"

Bearing in mind that a couple of the textures in that picture obviously result from panels/windows not yet being installed, I'd wait for the completed facade(s) before I judged this angle.

It looks like the massing of one of my sophomore year design studio projects where I had just learned sketchup and was basically playing around with what I could do with this fancy new tool. "How about an extrusion here, let's put another bump out there, ooh, the curved line option, done."

Diversity of shapes, colors and textures works here to give it a layered urban form - which is important for a building in a district built from nothing. And, even if the facades are all over the place, there's a unity of design language here. I think it's a big win.

It would be cool if in that glass bump out they roped off an area and setup a news broadcasting or sports radio section where you could see them in the window when you walk by- kind of like how TRL used to be I always thought that was a cool concept. You could maybe catch gronk or ortiz in the window when you walk by. The backdrop behind them would be the back bay skyline too which would be interesting.

I believe the public library has something like this. Would give the people a reason to hang out in the plaza if you knew a star was going to come to the window and wave at some point.

Diversity of shapes, colors and textures works here to give it a layered urban form - which is important for a building in a district built from nothing. And, even if the facades are all over the place, there's a unity of design language here. I think it's a big win.

Yeah I tend to agree with this assessment. Sure it's not a well-designed monolith, but in context it helps add a ton of energy to what is otherwise an incredibly sterile part of town. The shapes and cutouts and cool glass rooms on random corners make the place feel busy even without people inside.

If you are trying to build a space that will function more or less as the "core" of Seaport, this is a pretty decent design. I suspect that the North Station/Garden tower and complex will use a similar approach in terms of shapes and materials.

I really wish they just built glass boxes, maximizing the FAR and blending in with a number of other buildings already built.

^ Thats interesting because thats the #1 most complained about thing regarding the new buildings in the seaport. I imagine overall these would be received much worse by the masses than they are if they were boxes.

Personally, seeing this in person and knowing what they are going to look like when complete based on renders I think this is actually a very good development and a perfect fit for the spot. Time will tell once people start moving in and hanging around in the area how much it livens up the area and becomes a "destination" or not.

IMO, if they did something different on the curved portion than what's been built/designed, this would've come out a lot better. If you "cover" the curved part and look at the rest of the building's facades, they work quite well together.

Regardless, this is still one of the most solid developments in the Seaport thus far.

^ The hotel? If thats what you mean I agree thats the worst part of the project. I also think on the first tower the white part of the podium looks tacky, but Im going to withhold judgement until its finished just in case.

^ Thats interesting because thats the #1 most complained about thing regarding the new buildings in the seaport. I imagine overall these would be received much worse by the masses than they are if they were boxes.

Personally, seeing this in person and knowing what they are going to look like when complete based on renders I think this is actually a very good development and a perfect fit for the spot. Time will tell once people start moving in and hanging around in the area how much it livens up the area and becomes a "destination" or not.

Sarcasm is difficult on this forum.

What hotel?

Holy moly. I think I like it more than I don't, but that's a lot going on.

Coming along real nice. When can we expect the first retail to open? Late summer?

Back