The Benjamin & VIA (née One Seaport Square) | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Re: One Seaport Square | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

I honestly can't tell these buildings apart.

I agree with the general sentiment about the Seaport, but this has got to be one of the most distinct buildings in the area.

I am going to have to challenge you on that one. This has a moment or two, but in the end it is a collection of commercial architecture tropes.

The most distinct buildings in Seaport is the Chapel, hands down. It has the clearest intent, the most thoughtful execution and even does the careful dance of speaking of the past and existing in the present at the same time. It will be hard for anything to compete with that little guy.

The second most distinct is the Federal Courthouse followed (maybe) by the Parcel L1 building likely overtaken by the L2 building.

cca

The most distinct buildings in Seaport is the Chapel, hands down.
cca

Funny how we all see things so differently.....I might agree with you totally (yes, it is distinct) if the steeple had a peaked roof matching the roof line. As it is, the steeple looks unfinished with it's flat top and the cross atop the flat roof becomes almost invisible. As far as Seaport Square, love it and love the fact that it hides the brick fortress of a courthouse.

Last edited:

Funny how we all see things so differently.....I might agree with you totally (yes, it is distinct) if the steeple had a peaked roof matching the roof line. As it is, the steeple looks unfinished with it's flat top and the cross atop the flat roof becomes almost invisible. As far as Seaport Square, love it and love the fact that it hides the brick fortress of a courthouse.

I guess I am confounding "distinct" with architectural design integrity/authenticity.

My opinion stands

cca

As does mine.....even differences in how we perceive architecture remind me of this past presidential election. ;)

I guess I am confounding "distinct" with architectural design integrity/authenticity.

My opinion stands

cca

Agree with you. I'm of two minds on this subject. A new neighborhood is a positive. Do I wish it was less generic? Less typical? Yes. More Boston-like? Yes, and no.

Seaport sits at the crossroads of commerce and craft. Commerce always wins in the beginning. Craft gets V-E-ed out until it becomes a necessary ingredient.

With the retail, dining, movie options soon to come we may see that tipping point.

Agree with you. I'm of two minds on this subject. A new neighborhood is a positive. Do I wish it was less generic? Less typical? Yes. More Boston-like? Yes, and no.

Seaport sits at the crossroads of commerce and craft. Commerce always wins in the beginning. Craft gets V-E-ed out until it becomes a necessary ingredient.

With the retail, dining, movie options soon to come we may see that tipping point.

I also suspect that you will see more "craft" as development moves away from the water. With the waterfront and near waterfront properties, harbor views can hide a multitude of sins. Further inland you need to give the tenants something else to differentiate the property.

Incredible. Thank you.

This might be the image of the Seaport we've been waiting for for 15 years.

The image I've been waiting for has more human beings and life. I'm sure we'll see some more of it when the buildings open

Looking at these buildings, and trying to debate their architectural "worthiness", I am reminded of of the buildings put up at 1325-1341 Boylston St. I am blanking on what these were originally called, but it is the complex with the Target in it in the Fenway. The buildings (in the Seaport) are just those buildings plus 15-20 stories.

31269305662_49181d75fa_b.jpg

31413902715_beb9723bff_b.jpg

31413901605_aa653a8d61_b.jpg

31269302412_86454aef6e_b.jpg

31269267352_2d014f4103_b.jpg

Looking at these buildings, and trying to debate their architectural "worthiness", I am reminded of of the buildings put up at 1325-1341 Boylston St. I am blanking on what these were originally called, but it is the complex with the Target in it in the Fenway. The buildings (in the Seaport) are just those buildings plus 15-20 stories.

Van Ness

Folks, there was a small fire here this morning around 11am, but it caused quite a response. Welding for the swimming pool (building closest to Envoy Hotel) caught on fire and was quickly put out according to folks in the area. Many firetrucks everywhere.

Back