The Benjamin & VIA (née One Seaport Square) | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Hope you're just being snarky or sarcastic. Are you really against people having views from their own (rented) windows?
I don't think he said anything remotely like that.

I don't think he said anything remotely like that.

Didn't set off my snarkometer either. It could actually be that leases are selling like hotcakes and they don't need the gaudy advertisement anymore, which would be a good thing for boston development nerds.

Didn't set off my snarkometer either. It could actually be that leases are selling like hotcakes and they don't need the gaudy advertisement anymore, which would be a good thing for boston development nerds.

I'll own it. Read it again and didn't seem snarky after all. My apologies to BostonDrew.

I don't like the black to white transition on the base at all. Thoughts anybody else?

I agree, I don't think it was handled well at all, and it does make me wonder: obviously these superficial transitions are made to attempt to hide the bulk of a building's mass, but is this fooling anyone? Obviously no one is looking at it from across the street saying, "I'm glad that there are actually two buildings because the sheer bulk of just a single superblock would be overwhelming to me". But with these projects everyone knows it's just a different facade, probably built with the same system, definitely drawn by the same team. Is it just a mind trick? How can it possibly produce the intended effect?

I agree, I don't think it was handled well at all, and it does make me wonder: obviously these superficial transitions are made to attempt to hide the bulk of a building's mass, but is this fooling anyone? Obviously no one is looking at it from across the street saying, "I'm glad that there are actually two buildings because the sheer bulk of just a single superblock would be overwhelming to me". But with these projects everyone knows it's just a different facade, probably built with the same system, definitely drawn by the same team. Is it just a mind trick? How can it possibly produce the intended effect?

I know in Portsmouth this has been done for nimby appeasement. But now they've learned to demand buildings with "smaller footprints" so that we'd get actual separate buildings, not a half assed attempt at "breaking up" a larger structure. I halfway agree with the NIMBYs this time on aesthetics, but I wish we could just be like, give us something good and we won't waste your time and money so you can actually bring us something good.

I don't like the black to white transition on the base at all. Thoughts anybody else?

Better than the white on the base of L2. Although, L2 is otherwise the superior building, but I think these 2 turned out OK overall. A bit jumbled, but good quality with flashes of color/differentiation.

I generally think this building is a casserole of patterns, colors and textures that don't work. However, it does look well made.
True about the base, it does look like a black and white cookie:

BandW.jpg

What is your definition of "nimby" used here?

I know in Portsmouth this has been done for nimby appeasement. But now they've learned to demand buildings with "smaller footprints" so that we'd get actual separate buildings, not a half assed attempt at "breaking up" a larger structure. I halfway agree with the NIMBYs this time on aesthetics, but I wish we could just be like, give us something good and we won't waste your time and money so you can actually bring us something good.

What is your definition of "nimby" used here?

The most problematic group here aren't actually NIMBYs, they are rival developers posing as concerned citizens. They don't actually care, they just try to hold up developments until the developer gives up. Other cities should start vetting the people behind neighborhood opposition, I bet it's not just here. Recently in a particular instance, I noticed not a single address of people suing the city/developer here was actually in Portsmouth, so I asked people in city government and did some research. The people suing as concerned citizens represent a rival developer who just won an approval to build a hotel here (and the development they were suing over was mixed use, containing a hotel)

It's easier to just call them NIMBYs because that's what they essentially present themselves as. And the real NIMBYs who are just afraid of change don't see the difference and tag along with them, further blurring the lines.

The apartments on the Benjamin website say "available now." Does anyone know when the movie theater is opening?

Lol. Thanks. Just a hang-up I have over the term. Your point was clear.

It's easier to just call them NIMBYs because that's what they essentially present themselves as. And the real NIMBYs who are just afraid of change don't see the difference and tag along with them, further blurring the lines.

Holy crap, that is some gorgeous space!!

I took a tour yesterday. It's INSANELY nice. You pay a lot (~$165/mo. for just this location is the introductory rate -- and $210/mo for the Passport), but it's spectacular.

Oh, and they have 80 pieces of cardio equipment - WHAT

Back