The Beverly (née Merano) (Parcels 1B & 1C) | Bulfinch Triangle | West End

Re: The Merano (Parcels 1B & 1C) | Bulfinch Triangle | West End

Not sure what the consensus is on this but I think its coming out great.

Love it.......

Nice updated mid-century look. I like it.

I was looking at that last picture as it gets more narrow as it comes to the corner and it reminds me of Manhattan style step-backs. I got to wondering, if this building was tipped backwards so those were step-backs, how tall would the Merano be?

Nice updated mid-century look. I like it.

Charlie, when I think "updated mid-century look," I think of something like this Herzog & De Muron design. It calls to mind a stack of Richard Neutra houses, reimagining classic, familiar forms to a new purpose.

When I think of the Bulfinch Triangle, I get really, really sad...

Last edited:

Charlie, when I think "updated mid-century look," I think of something like this Herzog & De Muron design. It calls to mind a stack of Richard Neutra houses.

When I think of the Bulfinch Triangle, I get really, really sad...

This link actually reminds me of the residential version of Boston City Hall, minus the plaza. It isn't bad, but it isn't exactly something Boston should aspire to either. If anything, it looks like it belongs in Miami.

If anything, it looks like it belongs in Miami.

I agree. This design is for a hot Mediterranean climate, and it wouldn't make much sense in Boston.

The point I was trying to make is that the designs that have been executed in the Bulfinch Triangle are, at best, inhabitable massing models, devoid of any architectural value. When this is the result of a decade-long build-out of a precinct of the city that takes its very name from an eminent architect, the prevailing emotional response should be closer to shame or disgust.

^^Very tough opinion, given Boston's politics + resulting economics pushes so many dense, ugly boxes. For all we know Charles Bulfinch would argue for some aspect of the glass gondolas, and possibly, even participate, albeit reluctantly, in designing the spectrum of VE'd buildings now rising. Everyone has their hands out.

We've been VE City since the Hancock went up.

Wait, which one?

btw, at least we're not San Francisco.

Perhaps someone could slip a copy of this to Mayah Mahty...

^ Did anyone notice the rental banner -- did this project change names (did I miss that up thread)? The Beverly.

Back