The Boulevard (née The Times/Littlest Bar) | 110 Broad St | Downtown

Re: 110 Broad St. (The Times/Littlest Bar)

The bars are completely interchangeable, but they're two of the incredibly few options to sit outside on the Greenway enjoying some cheap to moderately priced food and booze. That's something the Greenway needs tons more of, not two less of. In and of itself, killing either of these two bars off is no major loss to the Boston dinning and bar scene, but replacing them with nothing is, at least for urban planning and space creation purposes, stupid as all fucking hell.

Edit: floor plan has dining with a few out door seats. So we're kicking out two long time successful business with large patios, and replacing them with some untried group with 7 tables. Great...

Wasn't the Littlest Bar initially where 45 Province stands now? Sacrificed twice for shitboxes? If they tear down the Times, Boston will lose another bit of its soul.

Well the space where it was is now open, at least I think it is, does anyone know if the new restaurant is using the basement there?

If you're going to spam the board with posts all day, can you at least use some minimum level reading comprehension? "Two of" /= "The Only Two"

And several dozen? No, sorry, that's a stretch.

Right now Whig is walking up and down the Greenway desperately trying to find 36 successful businesses that he will inevitably list in an interminably long post just so he can show Underground that there are in fact "several dozen".
I can't wait!

Well the space where it was is now open, at least I think it is, does anyone know if the new restaurant is using the basement there?

The old stairs exist and lead down to..... the fire pump room.

Right now Whig is walking up and down the Greenway desperately trying to find 36 successful businesses that he will inevitably list in an interminably long post just so he can show Underground that there are in fact "several dozen".
I can't wait!

I laughed, and then groaned when I realized he probably would.

I'm all for progress & development, but I'm not quite impressed by the approach of this project at all. FOA, If the design intents to be that drastic, then why keep the existing small building at all? Perhaps setbacks? Zoning? Budget? then I have to ask-What is the design value gained by the city with this proposal?

Absolutely hideous

The Littlest Bar is in a Bullfinch building. If they don't save it, or even do a facadectomy, it will be a real shame. It needs to be preserved.

It looks like pre-cast crap, and it hasn't even been VE'd yet!

Doesn't a prominent position on the Greenway deserve better architecture than this? Where is the Walsh administration and the call for better design standards for Boston?

Jeff -- the Walsh Admin is too busy suing The Gaming Commission trying to Wynn the Powerball in Everett

The Littlest Bar is in a Bullfinch building. If they don't save it, or even do a facadectomy, it will be a real shame. It needs to be preserved.

Chum -- if you read what they are proposing -- its supposed to be all about saving and showcasing the Bulfinch building

Its the less than edifying early 20th C structure and the parking lot that are going

According to what I'm usually reading here abouts -- we don't want parking lots; we want people living on the Greenway -- so I would expect that some people at least would laud the prospects of filling in with residences

According to the PNF (see chapter 5: "Urban Design") they're planning on keeping most of the Bullfinch building currently occupied by The Littlest Bar (see PNF PDF pages 153-164). I give them a little bit of credit for trying to save that building but I'm still definitely not a fan of this development.

Does anybody know what is upstairs from The Littlest Bar and The Times right now?

Chum -- if you read what they are proposing -- its supposed to be all about saving and showcasing the Bulfinch building

Its the less than edifying early 20th C structure and the parking lot that are going

According to what I'm usually reading here abouts -- we don't want parking lots; we want people living on the Greenway -- so I would expect that some people at least would laud the prospects of filling in with residences

There are no existing parking lots on this site; the surface area is outdoor seating for The Times and The Littlest Bar. The nearby parking lots are being developed in a different project at 55 India Street.

Correct. I just wish the Times was in a better looking, more historical structure that would help save it. The outdoor patio and parking lot are not small. If it was a better building to warrant the Jacob wirth treatment, I'd be all about it.

Or if the new structure just intended to put these two or ones just like them back in place. But, as mentioned. A pretty small, apparently not inspired designwise, temple to progress a la mediocrity is going where existing well liked businesses currently sit. At ground level we'll get a single uninspired cafe or restaurant.

Also as mentioned, we have precious few empty buildable lots along the greenway we should expect each to aim much higher when being filled in.

Correct. I just wish the Times was in a better looking, more historical structure that would help save it. The outdoor patio and parking lot are not small. If it was a better building to warrant the Jacob wirth treatment, I'd be all about it.

Or if the new structure just intended to put these two or ones just like them back in place. But, as mentioned. A pretty small, apparently not inspired designwise, temple to progress a la mediocrity is going where existing well liked businesses currently sit. At ground level we'll get a single uninspired cafe or restaurant.

Also as mentioned, we have precious few empty buildable lots along the greenway we should expect each to aim much higher when being filled in.

Seamus -- there is an enormous and quite buildable lot on Fulton St. @ Cross St. right on the Greenway at the edge of the North End -- it just happens to be filled with Police and other City Vehicles

100 years ago it was apparently the home of Wm. P. Underwood & Co. the creators of Underwood Deviled Ham and other such canned delicacies

81cckA53dLL._SL1500_.jpg

Agree. Standard should certainly be higher for quality on developing the greenway. I'm also sick and tired of consolidation of smaller storefronts. Why do they have to abolish both bars to make this project work? Small commercial establishments are what gives an area flavor. There's undoubtedly a creative solution to retain an independent business or two here as well as for better design. This project as is is lowest common denominator. This project stinks.

Nasty stuff.
I'd rather they moved the Bulfinch building to another location than carry out this bit of taxidermy.

Seamus -- there is an enormous and quite buildable lot on Fulton St. @ Cross St. right on the Greenway at the edge of the North End -- it just happens to be filled with Police and other City Vehicles

Well, you named one, and also named it's two biggest downfalls as developable land.

Current use = Parking for Police and other City vehicles. Folks who have a hard time letting anything like that go.

Location = at the edge of the North End. Full of residents who will work damned hard to block any development of any real substance that a large site such as you mention would warrant.

The point was, there is limited open space for development since most of the greenway is a sacred cow or over a highway and not designed to hold anything substantial. Capitalizing on the limited, unencumbered, buildable lots should be paramount.

I agree that the current building that The Times is in is not special. The Times, however, is. It is one of my favorite bar/restaurants. Even if it ends up moving, it will lose some of its character.

I'm not sure how many know this, but The Times and The Littlest Bar are connected, which is kind of nice. Granted, The Littlest Bar certainly does not match what it was when on Province St. At least they are saving the building that it is currently in for the new development, and suppose that is the most important thing.

I don't think the building currently is fantastic but it has Boston charm and I think it would be a shame and a downgrade if this is rebuilt.

Back