The Boulevard (née The Times/Littlest Bar) | 110 Broad St | Downtown

Re: 110 Broad St. (The Times/Littlest Bar)

Right now Whig is walking up and down the Greenway desperately trying to find 36 successful businesses that he will inevitably list in an interminably long post just so he can show Underground that there are in fact "several dozen".
I can't wait!

AFL -- apparently I spoke too soon

at least one of my favorite successes, Bread & Butter on Cross St. has closed after promising to re-open

as has Goody Glover's in the same building although that site may re-open as a Pete's Coffee

I don't think the building currently is fantastic but it has Boston charm and I think it would be a shame and a downgrade if this is rebuilt.

Exactly. Tourists, people who move to Boston from elsewhere, and, um, just people in general typically say they like Boston because it is (1) "historic" and (2) "European." That, at least is what I hear almost any time someone not from Boston talks to me about Boston (including self-congratulating Europeans).

They don't say they like it because it has great mid-rise, value-engineered, Modernist schlock. The Times is a contributing building to the overall ambience of Boston. Its proposed replacement - a reject from the Seaport ... or Houston - won't be. And for every pre-war, natural-materials, small-footprint, attractive building that gets axed in Boston, the characteristics that make Boston valuable in the eyes of most people get a little bit duller.

i hope some people are able to go to the meetings to fight this thing? bc talk on AB is cheap, and this thing is utter shit.

i hope some people are able to go to the meetings to fight this thing? bc talk on AB is cheap, and this thing is utter shit.

I would if I weren't away at school. This is the type of development I hate: too small, bad materials, and destroying something of value.

The littlest bar looks especially historic. I wish a development would just build on the triangular parcels next to the times and behind both as well as the parking lot behind them.

I wish a development would just build on the triangular parcels next to the times and behind both as well as the parking lot behind them.

The parking lot behind this building is part of a separate development. The triangular parcel on the northern portion of this site is outdoor seating for The Littlest Bar and the triangular parcel on the eastern portion is outdoor seating for The Times. There are only a few spots for outdoor eating and drinking along the Greenway, so I'm perfectly fine with keeping them.

Does anybody know what, if anything, is upstairs in these buildings?

I would appreciate if the walls were painted at least. I really like what philly does with murals on these type of walls. We need more of that.

This site is begging to be developed. You might not like what is currently being proposed but this location deserves better than what is there. Nice murals are not going to repair the damage done by the construction of the Central Artery or create the street wall that should be created across from the Greenway. Love of the current establishments does not alter any of this.

This site is begging to be developed. You might not like what is currently being proposed but this location deserves better than what is there. Nice murals are not going to repair the damage done by the construction of the Central Artery or create the street wall that should be created across from the Greenway. Love of the current establishments does not alter any of this.

Plus 1.

Are there any public meetings scheduled for this project? Because first of all this design isn't suitable for such a prime location in the city, and second, the buildings on this site really shouldn;t be demolished in my opinion.

And love of current establishments does not alter the fact that construction to create more Greenway orientation of this lot need not change the commercial layout of these buildings. This is a prime location and any developer can easily get creative to add height and a new facade (or expansion of existing building's footprint). With a lobby and access to whatever goes on top finagled into space other than that occupied by the businesses that exist. Given the location, whatever gets built here is a cash cow for the developer. Don't get fooled about "how hard" it would be be to have our cake and eat it too. At this site it's perfectly reasonable to demand this.

New renderings from the Boston Business Journal:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Better than the shitty renderings they initially put out. Still annoyed about the displacement of two watering holes on the Greenway...

Better than the shitty renderings they initially put out. Still annoyed about the displacement of two watering holes on the Greenway...

Will they reopen once the buildings are constructed?

I actually like these renderings a lot. It reminds me of Millennium Place actually.

If I were to guess, I'd say a Dunks, a CVS and an upscale restaurant/bar.

Despite my love for those bars, I like these renderings a lot! I'll find another bar, but it means I am going to have to go all the way across the street.

I don't get the fascination with random glass tumors. Is a coherent facade out of vogue?

Just what we need, more freaking shadows on the Greenway!! ;)

Back