The Boulevard (née The Times/Littlest Bar) | 110 Broad St | Downtown

Re: 110 Broad St. (The Times/Littlest Bar)

If rumours about the Times staying (and in anyway still reflecting its current self), and both building are approved adding people on the edge of the Greenway, that sounds like a win/win/win.

I like the street level render as well as both buildings shown finished across the greenway.

I know they're two separate projects, but I like seeing them both included for context.

Oh I didn't realize that the plan was changed(?) to keep the two bars. That's great!

IMO the inclusion in the renders of 55 India St (the separate, nearby development) is about as sleazy a developer trick as you'll find.

55 India St is a pretty clear win-win of a project (and arguably looks nicer than 110 Broad St).

The developer of 110 Broad seems to be abducting the other project into their renders, so the emphasis is less on demo'ing/ mutilating historic structures and putting up out-of-context dross (the 110 Broad St. project) and more on how a wonderful, complementary modern building will be filling a currently empty space (someone else's project that makes the 110 Broad developer look better)...

Not cool.

We got a project timeline for 110? How about 55?

The fact that they keep the littlest bar building makes me so much happier than I would be if they didn't. It is easily the better of the two buildings and this modern project around it will only accentuate how small and awesome of a building it is. shame that we loose an old building but at least the better one remains.

I believe the littlest bar building is a designated Boston landmark and subject to the jurisdiction of the Boston Landmark Commission. That is likely the reason the developer is sparing it from demolition. I agree the overall project is better by saving the littlest building and that it is the better of the two existing buildings. In a perfect world, I wish both buildings were being saved and the new building was filling out the surrounding empty land

I believe the littlest bar building is a designated Boston landmark and subject to the jurisdiction of the Boston Landmark Commission. That is likely the reason the developer is sparing it from demolition. I agree the overall project is better by saving the littlest building and that it is the better of the two existing buildings. In a perfect world, I wish both buildings were being saved and the new building was filling out the surrounding empty land

Agreed completely.

I too will be sad to see to see the buildings in their current form go--buildings like these are part of what gives Boston its character--but I don't think that the "surrounding empty land" is large enough to support any meaningful development on its own. Keep in mind that the parking lot is a separate development, so only the bars' outdoor patios would be up for redevelopment and they're both pretty small.

Agreed. It would be nice if the developer at least saved the facade of the other building. One thing I really like about facedectomies is that they usually encourage good street-level as the facades of the old buildings typically included retail. I hate when buildings are torn down and multiple retail tenants turn into a single or even no retail tenants.

The times bar is closed, all outdoor seating as well as the low fence that separated the seating from the sidewalk has been removed.

^You beat me to it. Also, there was a bunch of construction folks scoping out the entire building and parking lot.

The Times is moving across the street to where Barney Fannings is currently.

edit ... BRA meeting is tomorrow night, 1/14

Request authorization to issue a Determination waiving further review of Section 80A-6 of the Zoning Code in connection with the Notice of Project Change for the 110 Broad Street project for the decrease of residential units to 36 units, with 5 on-site artist units, to increase the parking to 48 spaces; and, to take all related actions.

http://boston.siretechnologies.com/sirepubbra/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=292&doctype=AGENDA

Last edited:

Wait does this have 48 parking spots for 36 units? 1.2 spaces per unit for a development in the center of downtown seems insanely high.

It wouldn't be nearly as cringey if there was an actual boulevard anywhere near this.

In the rendering what is the building on the right? There's just a surface lot there today, is that part of this project? Or separate project?

Back