The Boulevard (née The Times/Littlest Bar) | 110 Broad St | Downtown

Re: 110 Broad St. (The Times/Littlest Bar)

I like it.

I like it too. The color palette looks great.

I have very low expectations for this. Mostly I see it turning out looking plastic.

yep, dead on. this thing is not gonna look nice. its gonna look cheapo. goddammit i hope the city steps up on this one, this is a million dollar showcase site and should only have the best of the best. any firm that even thought of proposing something as garbage as the initial proposal should be subjected to extreme scrutiny.

This site should take some material cues from One Hyde Park in London - it's a similar scale and design:

OneHydePark_05.jpg

Well you are comparing apples to really really expensive apples here. Developing for the uber wealthy can afford high quality materials. Broad St isn't Hyde Park and these guys are clearly cutting back as not to take too high a risk.

Additionally, why is it that DTX is attracting huge prices yet the Greenway isn't?! That is nuts.

Additionally, why is it that DTX is attracting huge prices yet the Greenway isn't?! That is nuts.

I agree! Very odd. One guess: it's a 10 minute walk to the Red Line as opposed to being right on top of it.

Except at that price point those buys don't care that much about the T. These aren't middle class workers, these are international buyers looking for value to invest. The only ones that might actually care are the Chinese parents who bought an apartment for their kid when he/she eventually goes to college in Boston. But for everyone else the T doesn't really factor into it.

Broad St is going for the Financial District Bro demographic. They want a sweet pad in the heart of the city within walking distance to both work and play, something they are going to live in until they wife up and move to the suburbs. That's why the developers aren't sinking too much money into these buildings, it's all short term gain.

If these two buildings do become successful then I see a lot more buildings down there turning residential/new res builds. A lot is going to have to be done zoning wise by the city to really push it but with the Greenway there they'd be stupid not to take advantage.

Here's an image from a 65-unit building going up on West 58th Street in Manhattan.

Compare and contrast. I like the NYC building better but don't know why.

I guess what I'm saying is, are we getting value-driven architecture?

600-West-58th-Streetfinal.jpg

John, trust me NYC is getting just as much crap architecture as Boston. It just stands out in Boston so much more cuz the city is smaller.

APPROVED

BRA Board approves 110 Broad Street #Downtown #Greenway. 40 units w/ ground floor retail.

Personally, I don't get the gripe with the design. If the materials are of high quality, they should look very good (IMO). If they cheap-out on the materials, then it'll look bad, but this site is way too prominent for them to low-ball the materials....right?

I'm glad an underutilized parcel is getting redeveloped and I hope it comes out well... but it makes me sad that dive bars always just go away and are never replaced... tradeoffs I guess...

BostInno claims the both bars are remaining, in some capacity, as the ground floor retail. Can anyone confirm this?

Question: Are those two separate buildings, or one?

(Edited - previously assumed two separate buildings but now not clear...)

Question: Are those two separate buildings, or one?
They are two buildings. The one on the right is the 55 India St. project and the one on the left is the 110 Broad St. project.

They are two buildings. The one on the right is the 55 India St. project and the one on the left is the 110 Broad St. project.

Both were approved?

The fact that they keep the littlest bar building makes me so much happier than I would be if they didn't. It is easily the better of the two buildings and this modern project around it will only accentuate how small and awesome of a building it is. shame that we loose an old building but at least the better one remains.

Back