The Boulevard (née The Times/Littlest Bar) | 110 Broad St | Downtown

Gotta love the orange straps (BeeLine's 2nd picture) keeping the window from caving in. They are grasping at this point...

EDIT/More Thoughts:
Ok, so I am playing armchair engineer (sorry, can't help it, and not that I haven't made my share of eff-up's), but this is bad shoring 101. Wall should have been assumed unable to withstand the slightest bit of twist or lean. Running the C-channels the full width of the walls could have helped considerably: let the steel react loads, not the wall!! Instead you have substantial expanses of brittle wall between the supports. Ok, my sincere apologies to whomever did this shoring...rant over.

Kelly (a good guy) has a nice little explanation. http://www.kellyguitars.com/mystery_of_the_molecules.html

P.S. One theory? "old growth wood" from the "Little Ice Age" is more dense because of the tighter ring pattern brought on by slow growth, and sonically brighter. Wouldn't be surprised if the wood in Stradivarius violins grew in the coldest years of the Little Ice Age.

Tobyjug -- here's some data in the form of two images -- is there a connection?
Geigenzettel.png

Rollandetal2009.gif

Hate to say I called it but... (from 6-10)
So they are demolishing the bullfinch building, leaving only two walls. Anyone taking bets for how long before they find *some unforeseen structural issue*, and have to "regrettably" tear down those walls too?

The thing is, there is no reason at all they had to touch any of the Bullfinch . The new tower goes nowhere near its footprint:
24985491089_dfdba213c8_c.jpg

I would out money down there's a "real plan" that's been kicking around for a while on what to do when the bullfinch comes down. Dainty Dot all over again...

There should really be some sort of punishment for developers who purposefully do this, if there isn't already.

w/ edit;

Not speaking to an alleged attempt, effort, etc; but, can anyone recall a more half assed outcome in attempting to preserve a compelling aspect of the original building – done in Boston? i realize that leaving up more walls would greatly diminish the reason you're building in the first place. Still, there's just something about this project that pisses me off. The render of the new building looks good. But it also seems, that as time passes, the memory of the original architecture, small as it may be, almost vanishes.

It also seems like our taverns and dive bars are disappearing fast.

can anyone recall a more half assed outcome in attempting to preserve a compelling aspect of the original building – done in Boston?

I think most of us can respond in one voice to that question: The Dainty Dot Building.

I'm honestly wondering how that is even still standing. I feel like if I ran at it and gave it a good push, it would all come crumbling down...

I talked to a guy on site last week and he said they had to take down the top right corner because it was structurally integrated into the roof of the adjacent building. He said they saved the bricks and they'll put it back together.

w/ edit;

Not speaking to an alleged attempt, effort, etc; but, can anyone recall a more half assed outcome in attempting to preserve a compelling aspect of the original building – done in Boston? i realize that leaving up more walls would greatly diminish the reason you're building in the first place. Still, there's just something about this project that pisses me off. The render of the new building looks good. But it also seems, that as time passes, the memory of the original architecture, small as it may be, almost vanishes.

It also seems like our taverns and dive bars are disappearing fast.

Odurandia -- as I've posted previously -- Kennedy's store on Summer St. -- for several years all that was there was a steel frame with 3 stories of brick front and part of one side facade hanging in mid air as the two stories below were deemed to have been compromised architecturally:
Before:
7044514773_6d093a8d41_b.jpg

During:
BPA_selectprop_kennedys.jpg

After:
Former%2BKennedy%2527s%2BSite%2BToday%2Bfrom%2Bair.jpg

The real surprise was what the same building looked like before it became Kennedy's -- see any resemblance? :eek:
Kennedy_s_Department_Store_-_Boston.png

Moral of the story -- in Boston -- things change -- get used to it

Can we collectively write them a letter saying they suck at life and need to try harder?

At what point did we learn this was going to be a facadectomy? Renders had me thinking there would be a building renovation.

Hong Lok is what I consider to be a facadectomy. The facade is preserved/restored, but immediately behind the facade is an entirely different building that preserves nothing of the original dimensions / floorplate. Dainty Dot was to be this sort of facadectomy.

539w.jpg

Completed-Project-617x411.jpg

The Hayden building:

slide-08__1299174728_2435.jpg

slide-10__1299174728_2609.jpg

floor unstable, yellow tape marking unsafe area

slide-04__1299174729_2044.jpg

K braces added to upper floors in 1990s to help stabilize the building

slide-09__1299174729_1752.jpg

hole in the floor

If the Bulfinch building had four salvageable sides (like the Hayden building) instead of two, then the restoration of the Bulfinch building might have proceeded similarly* to that of the Hayden building. I don't consider the Bulfinch building to be a facadeectomy.

* Caveat, restoring the somewhat intact interior of the Bulfinch building might be impossible if it could not be done in a way that conforms with contemporary building and seismic codes.

Restoration of a room at the House of Seven Gables (a First Period house).

56c28667576aa.image.jpg

I am pretty sure that the doors are not six feet high, and quite sure that the summer bean (the cross-beam at room center) is not six feet high (from the floor).

In restoring the room, they had to install a steel beam to reinforce the summer beam.

56fc5c3231c95.image.jpg

Last edited:
The party walls had to be part of the original Bulfinch, no?

Unless all the floor joists, etc were all replaced at one point, I can't see how they couldn't have been.

The party walls had to be part of the original Bulfinch, no?

Unless all the floor joists, etc were all replaced at one point, I can't see how they couldn't have been.

The oldest drawings show only the two sides that are being retained.

Apparently, the building was originally a row of four stores, opening on Wharf St. This suggests a party wall on the east side, and probably a party wall on the north side.

https://www.cityofboston.gov/images_documents/102 Broad Street Study Report_tcm3-50036.pdf

So wait they didnt have financing secured before they destroyed the building? This is exactly the shit the city needs to stop immediately. No one learned a lesson from the Filene's building?!?

So wait they didnt have financing secured before they destroyed the building? This is exactly the shit the city needs to stop immediately. No one learned a lesson from the Filene's building?!?

Suffolk -- before you pop-off -- The developer of the project needed to acquire air rights to a piece of city that the project would overhang. That was a requirement to get the financing finalized -- however, no one ever thought that they wouldn't get the agreement with the city-- it just took time to work its way through the BureauKraptic Process

Once the city granted the air rights [July 11] in exchange for $594,000 payment to the BRA - the financing was finalized [Jul 18]
BOSTON, MA – July 18, 2016 – Holliday Fenoglio Fowler, L.P. (HFF) announced today that it has arranged financing totaling $58.7 million for the development of 110 Broad Street, a 36-unit, luxury residential condominium development to be built along the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston’s Financial District.

HFF worked on behalf of the borrower, New Boston Ventures, to secure a $46 million fixed-rate construction loan through East Boston Savings Bank and $12.7 million in subordinate financing from Canyon Partners Real Estate LLC.

This is akin to you starting work on your new house on the Cape only to find out that the seller of the lot had previously sold off part of the land you need for a driveway to get to your garage to your neighbor. To get your money -- the bank -- would want an agreement for an easement on the strip of land providing access to your garage

Back